Online groceries in Madison

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Resnictem

Online groceries in Madison

Postby Resnictem » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any experiences with shopping online for groceries and having them delivered? And is it only Midvale Sentry and Peapod that does this?

I have been thinking of having some of bulk shopping delivered.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Online groceries in Madison

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Willy St. Coop does it. You have the option for store pick-up or delivery.

http://www.willystreet.coop/

QuantumWeaver

Postby QuantumWeaver » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:53 pm

I used the service through Sentry for quite a while. I would have continued, but I moved outside of Dane County. They did a good job and it was well worth the fee to have them shop and deliver for me.

I've never used Peapod so can't speak to that. I'd love to try them, but again... small town outside of Dane County so I don't expect to see them out there anytime soon (or ever).

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:33 pm

I haven't done the full online shopping experience, but I do get groceries delivered from Cap Center after shopping there in person on my way home. That works really well.

In my experience it's a little clunky to get used to an online interface and try to find your exact favorite brand/size/flavor before your time winds down. In addition, I'm more of an as-needed kind of shopper; I'm more likely to say, "Oh, right, I have to get toilet paper NOW" than to plan ahead and do a Thursday run online, so that's not as convenient when there's lag time in between.

That said, I do have friends who swear by Peapod. If I knew I could get the groceries that night (within, say, three or four hours -- they may do thisalready for all I know, but given the amount of items they sell I wouldn't hold my breath), I might be more likely to do it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:56 pm

One thing I would recommend is to first go shopping on premises and take close note of what you buy and what a reasonable amount is. I had a few surprises – among them ending up with a big pile of orange-colored cheese (orange!) that I ended up having to foist on unsuspecting visitors.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”