Tea Bags

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Tea Bags

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm

I've got just about every kind of loose tea filter made. They're all messy. My dish water always has bits of tea or coffee. The plain bags, sold at Willy Coop, are pricey. I bought a stack of coffee filters and sometimes sew up a few teas and herbs. It seems to not brew so well. I also keep a box of black tea in the house at all times. Those bags have to be really cheap. Why can't I get those? Susan Weed uses muslin or cheesecloth for hers. I'm looking for a better idea.

Lovely Bunny

Re: Tea Bags

Postby Lovely Bunny » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

I use a mesh filter I found at Willy Street coop. I know Bodum makes a similar one but this is not Bodum...it's a cylindrical metal mesh basket, used for brewing one cup of loose leaf at a time. Cleans fairly easily with a rinse under the faucet...I Love it. Yes--capital "L" Love. Twas a bit spendy--ten bucks or so--but well worth it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Sounds like the chai filter, I got at Starbuck's several years ago. One of my favorites. I'm still thinking easy bags.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 pm

This thread title is misleading.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 am

boston_jeff wrote:This thread title is misleading.

That would end in -ing.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 am

boston_jeff wrote:This thread title is misleading.

Well, my first nickel bag was damn easy, from a Texan, ex GI,( reminded me of Tom Skerritt) going to school here.

But I digress. So far, I bought the thinnest coffee filters I could find. 'spose I could check cheese cloth. I'm about changing frequent irritations (grounds in the dish water) into easy.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm having a hard time picturing what's happening here. Are loose bits of tea leaf escaping the filter into your tea cup which then eventually wind up in your sink when you wash the cup?

What sort of tea are you using? If you are using the really cheap black tea stuff that looks like tiny pebbles, you probably will never see the end of this problem. Get the tea that is much bigger, whole leaves.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I use a lot of loose tea, herb tea and coffee. When I'm done brewing, the brewing baskets I usually use still have bits of stuff, that floats around in the dishwater. If it was in a handy dandy bag, there would be no problem. My life would be complete and I'd be a happy woman. I've got several boxes of different kind of tea, in bags. How expensive can the filter paper bags like that be? EVP has used coffee filters, with a toothpick! The pricey bags at Willy, make me think of buying a cheap box of Lipton or Red Rose!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Gotcha. Adagio sells them for $3/100 ... if you order 17 boxes it will be free shipping I guess...

Adagio filters

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:55 pm

Rishi has some good ones.

http://www.shoporganic.com/product/rish ... ee_filters

$4 bucks is about what you'd pay for coffee filters of similar quality.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 am

Go to the cafe in Borders and ask them what kind of bags they use for their loose teas.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”