What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

Orwell was off by 33 years.

Amazon Sells Out of 1984 as America Decides to Read a Goddamn Book for Once
http://gizmodo.com/amazon-sells-out-of- ... socialflow

"George Orwell’s dystopian classic 1984 occupied the number one spot on Amazon’s best-selling books list yesterday, where it remains today. A cautionary tale about a brutal, amoral dictator has evidently felt relevant to people lately. But as of today, Amazon—the world’s largest bookseller—is unable to keep up with demand."

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 1984

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 am

For me this is, at one and the same times, both a surprise and completely expected. When I grew up, 1984 and Animal Farm were basic school fare. We read Animal Farm in 9th grade english. Not the advanced class, just the basic ninth grade stuff. 1984 was in 11th, I think. That might have been the advanced class. In our senior year we read Darkness at Noon.

But I grew up thinking that this was the way every high school was. I thought everybody had to read two or three novels a year just to graduate eighth through twelfth grades. I realize the whole education process has gone through some changes in the last forty or fifty years so it's not surprising that so few people appear to be familiar with Orwell's work. On the other hand, I went to school with so many kids who were decidedly more athletic and short of attention span than they were bookish, and THEY read those books, and managed to speak about them as if they'd paid attention while they were reading.

So I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time. And a little sad that things have gotten so bad that we need Trump to get people to read important literature, and a little encouraged that they actually ARE reading the important literature because it means we might not have a nation of complete illiterates out there.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:28 pm

The official title is "Nineteen eighty-four" not "1984". I got 2 points off my 8th grade book report for having the title wrong.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Did you ask to get those 2 points back? Just curious, as a former teacher, some students like to argue for every little point. I always figured they would be come a lawyer or doctor or president.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:47 am

John Hurt , RIP

He was always one of my favorites.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 am

Thumbs up to the original post. This is exactly how it was for me in high school '67-'70 in English classes. 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World - we even covered Atlas Shrugged although only in the context of the author. We didn't have to read it (but I did). Poetry, Shakespeare. Shakespeare as poetry. I got what I think of now as a pretty well rounded librul arts syllabus for a tiny school in upstate NY. But Beaver's right about the sports. It was a big deal that I managed to miss because I was playing in a band - garage and school bands.

What I'm having trouble with is I have Facebook friends from my old school that got the same education and had the same teachers as me but some of them are rampant DJT supporters whose response to my occasional bleeding heart liberal post has been "Hillery (sic) lost. Get over it." What the heck happened? Any thoughts on this?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 am

Madsci wrote:Did you ask to get those 2 points back? Just curious, as a former teacher, some students like to argue for every little point. I always figured they would be come a lawyer or doctor or president.

No, I didn't argue with the teacher. I still got an A on the book report, if I remember correctly, so it seemed pointless to bicker over a higher A.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:14 am

You must have been a good student.
I wish they had us read some of these books at my high school. I might have been more interested in my english class. Luckily my older brother had left his college books behind for me to read instead.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:23 pm

My HS in Arkansas read Brave New World. I remember reading Animal Farm, but not sure if it was for a class or not. We also read Lord of the Flies, the Bhagavad Gita, Kim (by Kipling), Huck Finn, and a few other fairly controversial books for the Bible Belt. These had to be presented so as not to offend Christians.

Return to “Books”