Good mysteries

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Good mysteries

Postby kissyfish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 pm

So,

I love to read, and tend to read a lot. I had been spending an inordinate ammount of time on non-fiction, mainly military history and such, but I became bored. But I do love mysteries and spy novels and such, especially when historical.

Anyone have any recommendations for some good reading for me?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good mysteries

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Hate to step on Cadfael's turf, but I'm a big fan of the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael from Ellis Peters, about a 12th-century Benedictine monk/herbalist/former Crusader/student of human nature. Great historical stuff.

The rest of my recos aren't historical, just good old British mysteries — maybe old news to you if you're a fan of the genre.

LOVE the classic Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

I've read, re-read, and re-read again the Lord Peter Wimsey stories of Dorothy Sayers. My favorites: Murder Must Advertise; The Nine Tailors, which is a great holiday read; and the first three Harriet Vane (his love interest) books: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, and Gaudy Night.

Other go-to series: Inspector Morse by Colin Dexter, Inspector Wexford by Ruth Rendell, and Adam Dalgliesh by P.D. James (James said she created Dalgliesh as sort of a dark anti-Wimsey).

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:53 am

Cool, I will grab those at the library this weekend.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Do you think they will find Sherri Papini's kidnappers?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sherri-papini- ... d=43930023

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:50 pm

I read a lot of Westerns by Louis L'Amour. While the stories are fiction, the places and many of the characters are Historically accurate.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Anything by Georges Simenon, anything by Eric Ambler (although probably more in the thriller mode), and more recently, Philip Kerr (especially with Bernie Gunther as detective) and Alan Furst. The last two are also very good with historical fiction. Ross MacDonald's books are also terrific and so were some of the John McDonald's (Travis McGee books). Martin Cruz Smith has also written terrific mysteries/thrillers.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:02 am

James Lee Burke's Dave Robichaux novels are about as good as it gets in contemporary detective fiction. The Louisiana bayou seeps into every page and our hero is in a constant struggle with his failings. Burke is an outstanding unheralded writer.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:54 am

David Fullmer's detective novels are set in New Orleans at the time of the birth of jazz. Great historical fiction. Flawed characters seeking redemption (and sometimes finding it).

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:28 am

Thanks all!

I am loading up for the holiday break. I appreciate your suggestions, and will even try to reply my take on them. I am quite the Sherlock Holmes fan (have been since I was young) I love the short story format, and victorian London as a setting. Recently also read everything by LeCarre.

Never have read a western, so I appreciate giving L'Amour a chance.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas all! (inclusive innit?)

Return to “Books”