eReader recommendation

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

eReader recommendation

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

I am shopping for an eReader but don’t know much about them. I’m looking for a good basic one at the least cost possible. From what I’ve read, the current models are Nook glowlight ($70 - $100) and basic Kindle ($80). The Kindle paperwhite has ads, which sounds bad. Kindle Voayage cost too much ($200).

Both Nook and Kindle can only use their own ebook format. Also, there is Kobo which can read any ebook format, which sounds like a big plus. Do you have an ereader? Which do you think is best? Nook, Kindle, or Kobo?

http://www.cnet.com/topics/ereaders/bes ... k-readers/

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: eReader recommendation

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:06 pm

I've got the kindle app on my droid phone and it can read several types. I don't understand why the dedicated Kindle can't do that.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 pm

The format is not an issue. Download the calibre ebook management program to your computer. It will translate any format to the native format of your reader when you transfer books to your reader. Works flawlessly in my experience.

The ads on the paperwhite are non-intrusive, I barely notice. You can spend an extra $20 to have them removed, I wouldn't bother.

I would never get a reader without backlighting, it is so handy.

The newest paperwhite has a higher resolution screen. The older paperwhite already was very clear. The Nook hasn't really taken off, unfortunately, you have more purchase options at amazon.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm

As I only get books from Barnes & Noble, so Nook is my reader of choice.

I did try Kobo but it doesn't work well with Nook books.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. I never heard of Calibre. Sounds useful but that would mean a PC would be involved so I can't download books wirelessly straight to the reader, but may not be a big problem.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Shorty wrote:Thanks for the tips. I never heard of Calibre. Sounds useful but that would mean a PC would be involved so I can't download books wirelessly straight to the reader, but may not be a big problem.

You likely will still download many books straight to reader wirelessly. But all odd formats you always download to computer first. It really isn't an issue.

You connect reader to computer over USB port. The Calibre program helps keep track of books both on your computer and your reader. You can keep books in one or both locations. It's a great program. It has a reader if you want to peruse some books on your computer.

anaranjado

Postby anaranjado » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Another vote for the paperwhite. It's great. The back lighting makes it worth the extra cost -- you won't regret it. I agree that the ads are completely unobtrusive. They are mostly book recs that are present on the screen when you turn it on. They do not interrupt your reading. I am loving using the madison public library to borrow ebooks. This has saved me a bunch of money. Amazon prime allegedly has a library where you can borrow one book monthly at no cost, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm

anaranjado wrote: Amazon prime allegedly has a library where you can borrow one book monthly at no cost, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

If I were a faster reader, I might try some of those titles. I'm sure there are plenty of gold nuggets in that junk pile. I never found a single title that I wanted to invest time in.

I do borrow books from the library. Selection is limited, not the library's fault. And sometimes I can't keep a book for as long as I would like - my lips get very tired if I try to read too quickly.

I've been reading Russian novels, and I anally seek out the most recommended translations. That usually means buying at Amazon.

My bargain bin in downloading from Pirate Bay. I'm not a good person.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 am

Paperwhite sounds good but I like to avoid big corps like Amazon as much as possible. I will go to stores to try it and the Kobo. Best buy has the Kobo touch:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage. ... &keys=keys

A Room of One’s Own has Kobo Aura and Glo: http://www.roomofonesown.com/kobo/help/devices_kobo

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm

I've used a Nook and was able to transfer a public domain book from my computer to it. I just don't like reading novels from it and still prefer paper. I'd really encourage you to go to Best Buy or somewhere else and test drive one -- see if you can find one that you'd be happy reading for long periods of time.

I agree that a backlight is important. I got my Nook with a clip-on light which just seems -- backwards.

Did you know the library has ebooks? I couldn't find any info on whether or not they have readers for use.
http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/ebooks

And also printed books on how to use ebooks :crazy:
https://www.linkcat.info/cgi-bin/koha/o ... ber=934938

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm

I have a Kindle Paperwhite & love it, probably will replace it with the Voyage eventually. My kids use Kindle Fires which are really just tablets. They read on them but seems hard on the eyes to me. You can send articles and word docs to the Paperwhite with a send to Kindle app. The free library is a bit of a pain because you have to scroll through the books from the kindle store while you're on the Kindle, but I did find & read the Hunger Game books there.

Oh, I've also sent books to the Kindle from the Baen free library - just needed my Kindle email address.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:46 am

I went to A Room of One’s Own but they didn't have any Kobos in stock to try. I will have to go to Barnes & Noble and Best buy to try the Nook, Kindles, and Kobo touch.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:08 pm

I know you said you want to avoid big corporations, and therefore want to avoid Kindles, but the Paperwhite is really great. One thing I like is that it is NOT backlit, but is actually lit around the edge of the screen. What that means is that the light doesn't shine into your eyes, so it reduced eye strain. It is much more like reading a book than any other electronic device I have owned.

Scientists have found that the blue glow of electronic screens within one hour of going to sleep can disrupt your sleep patterns. The Paperwhite doesn't do that. Maybe that's not a problem for you, but I'm trying to avoid anything that messes up my sleep. The screen coating and lighting is also much easier on my eyes than the Kindle Fire I owned before.

I download news and magazine articles to my Kindle via the aforementioned Push to Kindle. It's great, because I can read stuff for work on a small, lightweight device if I am traveling. I still like real paper, but the Kindle is so much easier to hold in bed and pack in a bag for traveling.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes I know blue light is bad for eyes. I wrote about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=56862&p=781079&hilit=blue+light#p781079

I don't understand why Paperwhite wouldn't have blue light. I thought all screens emit blue light.

Return to “Books”