Happy 1000th, Analog Science Fiction and Fact

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Happy 1000th, Analog Science Fiction and Fact

Postby rabble » Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 pm

In 1930 it was Astounding Stories, in 1938 it became Astounding Science Fiction under John W. Campbell who single handedly created today's Science Fiction genre. Analog Science Fact & Fiction in 1960, and its current name in 1992.

Oddly, there seems to be some controversy over whether this is actually the 1000th issue based on whether the "dual issues" in some months are two issues or one, and other publishing hiccups over the last 70 or 80 years. Who would have thought two or three generations of sci fi nerds would argue over something like that.

Congratulations. I remember the Dipple, Podkayne, The Cold Equations, and afternoons under the big willow tree in our backyard. Glad you guys are still around.
(That's a slightly reworked copy of the 1938 cover. Originally it was a guy punching the bipedal beetle men to protect a female in an animal skin. Times change.)

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happy 1000th, Analog Science Fiction and Fact

Postby kurt_w » Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 am

I never had a subscription, but I did pick up a box full of classic Analogs and Galaxy SFs from the 1940s-1970s, at a garage sale, for a song. Lots of great stories in that batch. Then I went off to college, left them all behind at my parents', and they probably sold them in a garage sale, for a song. Hopefully someone else got to enjoy them as much as I did.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happy 1000th, Analog Science Fiction and Fact

Postby peripat » Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 am

Fun to think of the very young Asimov wandering in to talk to Campbell again and again until he finally produced something Campbell would buy. And Campbell was kind of a crank - he also bought Dianetics.

Analog, If, Galaxy, Fantasy and Science Fiction all published in the 60s. Mine were in my parents basement for years. All I have left are F&SF from the 70s and 80s.

Return to “Books”