I NEVER READ BOOKS BY GIRLS

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 pm

CANDY GIRL by Diablo Cody.
Wow. Gotta love her name.
The blurb on the back says it's Number 1 on Dave Letterman's Book Club list.
An unlikely stripper bares all.
Brilliant, witty, disgusting, smart, sleazy.
This is no chick lit.
I was jealous.

From Publishers Weekly

"Why, you might ask, would a healthy, college-educated young woman start stripping for a living, when she could work in a nice, clean office? Cody, now an arts editor for Minneapolis's alternative weekly, had spent her whole life (all 24 years) "choking on normalcy, decency and Jif sandwiches with the crusts amputated." When she moved from Chicago to Minnesota to live with the new boyfriend she'd found on the "World Wide Waste of Time," she took a job at an ad agencyâ€â€

newt

Postby newt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:27 pm

"The Liveship Traders" by Robin Hobb

It takes me a lot to get queasy by reading, but Hobb did it. I also wanna be a pirate now. Arrgh!
Last edited by newt on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm

"Everyone's Pretty" by Lydia Millet

This novel is not pretty or girly, though, so don't get your undies in a bundle over the title. It's more ugly and weird than pretty.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:37 pm

towanda wrote:Joyce Carol Oates (well, ok, Oprah picked one book of hers)
I did no such thing!

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Joan Didion, "Slouching Towards Bethlehem." In fact, anything by Joan Didion would do.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Only book I have ever read by a girl - and it was quite some time ago. The best I could tell you is that writing seems like just a hobby to Jenkins...and with that being said, if you are not too serious of a person, you may enjoy this quirky little dip into physical culture.

Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:40 pm

I would recommend The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Sebold paints a vivid picture of each character with her words and the story is hauntingly romantic in a heartbreaking but warm manner. The story deals with the grotesque murder of a 14 year old girl, who narrates the story of how her family and friends deal with her murder from her ghostly view from the afterlife. The storyline quickly reveals that the children/teenagers are the stable characters with functional moral compasses, while the adults are a cocktail of co-dependent dysfunctionals who are aimlessly wandering through life. Sebold writes a perfect balance of ghost story, drama, humor and romance without being maudlin or melancholy.

Footnote: Alice Sebold was born in Madison.

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 am

I have enjoy some of Emily Dickinson's poetry and one of my most favorite poems is How Do I Love Thee by by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 pm

[quote="blunt"]CANDY GIRL by Diablo Cody.
Wow. Gotta love her name.
The blurb on the back says it's Number 1 on Dave Letterman's Book Club list.
An unlikely stripper bares all.
Brilliant, witty, disgusting, smart, sleazy.
This is no chick lit.
I was jealous.

From Publishers Weekly

"Why, you might ask, would a healthy, college-educated young woman start stripping for a living, when she could work in a nice, clean office? Cody, now an arts editor for Minneapolis's alternative weekly, had spent her whole life (all 24 years) "choking on normalcy, decency and Jif sandwiches with the crusts amputated." When she moved from Chicago to Minnesota to live with the new boyfriend she'd found on the "World Wide Waste of Time," she took a job at an ad agencyâ€â€

Return to “Books”