Pick my next book

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm gonna pass on all of Pynchon's stuff.
God knows I've tried.
V? No. GR? No. Crying Lot? uhuh. Mason Dixie or Vineland? Noooo.
And no to Joyce. (The author not TDP don)
If I'm going to read the "classics" I'll stick with Catch-22 and Cuckoo's Nest.
If I'm going to read "difficult" books, gimme Foucalt's Pendulum or Infinite Jest.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:22 pm

It's your loss.

Private Slothrop's surreal sexual slog through the anarchy of an immediately pre-VE Day Europe is the story of us all. It is to Catch-22 what Kesey is to Jim Thompson - the acid version of an already fucked-up song.

And, as a prediction of the persistence of conspiracy theory as the central secular myth of those trapped within late capitalism, Gravity's Rainbow's 'Counterforce' is The Tristero on steroids.

Ultimately, though, I think Phillip K. Dick does this stuff better. Which is odd, given that Pynchon presumably re-writes his stuff endlessly - as opposed to Dick, who seems to have taken his attitude towards revisiting his own compositions from the Biblical tale of Lot's wife.

Then again - in the time it takes for another tome to emerge from Pynchon's pen Phillip K. would have filled another shelf at the library.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:34 am

blunt wrote:I'm gonna pass on all of Pynchon's stuff.
God knows I've tried.
V? No. GR? No. Crying Lot? uhuh. Mason Dixie or Vineland? Noooo.
And no to Joyce. (The author not TDP don)
If I'm going to read the "classics" I'll stick with Catch-22 and Cuckoo's Nest.
If I'm going to read "difficult" books, gimme Foucalt's Pendulum or Infinite Jest.

I would think Gravity's Rainbow would be right up your alley, Blunt. The book may have annoyed me somewhat, but it's certainly not boring. It's just really choppy and doesn't bother with maintaining a traditional narrative. I would compare it to what Tom Robbins would be like if he stayed high on mushrooms for a year and was trying to write as if his IQ was 200.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48 pm

I would've thought that Blunt would be a Vineland fan.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Whoa....I didn't say boring, but difficult.
And I tried more than once on several of those books.
But then again also have trouble finishing Dick's stuff, too.
(Pynchon is perhaps more skilled as a writer, while Dick is a rainbird sprinkler of cool ideas.)
And there is also that weird rut (happens with movies and music also) when you feel sick or bad or aren't in the right frame to accurately experience a book---and that sometimes cause a ripple block to future attempts.
And Tom......Another Roadside Attraction up to, hmmm, Jitterbug Perfume.

I'm gonna end up giving him his own thread but are any of you familiar with William Kotzwinkle?
Many have maybe heard of The Fan Man or Walter The Farting Dog, but he is SO much more.....
Brilliant, a word wizard.

Return to “Books”