Favorite Bookstore

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
hastings

seems it's polling season (favorite independent book store?)

Postby hastings » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm running a poll re: "favorite independent Madison booksellers" in the madison.com forums.

It's not intended to compete with aggregate Isthmus and Cap Newspapers surveys, but modestly correct for an individual WSJ reader poll. The only options on the "best madison bookstore" ballot were Borders, Barnes and Noble, and University Book Store.

Here's the polling thread:
http://www.madison.com/post/forums/viewtopic.php?p=235070

When the poll closes next weekend, I'll post the results and do a piece highlighting the winner. Any votes, corrections, and notes of omissions would be much appreciated.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 am

DamnShame wrote:The East Towne Borders has a better music selection.

At some of the most ridiculous prices in town.

organica

Postby organica » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:50 am

Where's the west side Frugal Muse located?

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:34 pm

Next to Pedros.

JMH

Postby JMH » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Borders by Hilldale, since it's more or less right next door and I can walk there if I feel up to it. Interesting trivia: When I was there waiting for Potter the girl behind the information desk was asked if the wait was anything like this at the East Towne location and she replied "Probably not, we seem to be doing much better than our east side brethren lately." I'm guessing the B&N in the mall has put a hurting on them?

Also, someone asked about why anyone would shop at a Waldenbooks or B. Dalton. Well, this may be useless to anyone else but me but whenever I'm out by West Towne I'm always surprised that the manga selection at Waldenbooks in the mall crushes the one at the B&N right across the street. So if nothing else, they've got that going for them.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm

JMH wrote:Also, someone asked about why anyone would shop at a Waldenbooks or B. Dalton. Well, this may be useless to anyone else but me but whenever I'm out by West Towne I'm always surprised that the manga selection at Waldenbooks in the mall crushes the one at the B&N right across the street. So if nothing else, they've got that going for them.

As a former horse in the Waldenbooks stable, I will only defend them occasionally. I'm not crazy about some of the locations I've visited, but I thought my former location was great, and others have been strong. And as a chain, they're definitely pounding manga, and hard. I think they're using that as the next wedge between where they are now as a store, and where they used to be (nothing but mass market romance and sci-fi/fantasy paperbacks).

JMH

Postby JMH » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Walden's could end up going the way of Suncoast Motion Picture Company before they closed down. The *only* thing keeping them going at the end was anime and manga sales. I worked for Musicland (parent company of Suncoast and Sam Goody) for seven years and even before I quit in 2001 it was already something like 40% of their video business.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm

JMH wrote:Walden's could end up going the way of Suncoast Motion Picture Company before they closed down. The *only* thing keeping them going at the end was anime and manga sales. I worked for Musicland (parent company of Suncoast and Sam Goody) for seven years and even before I quit in 2001 it was already something like 40% of their video business.

Heh. Are you sure you're not a sockpuppet of me or something? I worked at Suncoast for a little while, too. Agreed on all points.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Are you sure you're not a sockpuppet of me or something?

Ha! That struck me as really funny. (And I'm cranky as hell at the moment, so thanks.)

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:39 pm

JMH wrote:Borders by Hilldale, since it's more or less right next door and I can walk there if I feel up to it. Interesting trivia: When I was there waiting for Potter the girl behind the information desk was asked if the wait was anything like this at the East Towne location and she replied "Probably not, we seem to be doing much better than our east side brethren lately." I'm guessing the B&N in the mall has put a hurting on them?

There was barely a line when I checked out at 10pm. Kinda nice. Many people scattered thru-out the store though, Potter Bingo and other things going on. Kinda fun.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 pm

The internets

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm

Currently, Barnes & Noble. I like them both. I prefered them over Borders, in Chicago also. Better selection and atmosphere. Better coffee and unsurpassed pastries! Thank heavens they serve Starbuck's but NOT their pastries!
B&N probably have the best magazine stands in town also. Best I've seen since Snappy's, or the old ones in Chicago. Oh, and also, B&N doesn't put you through that dumb shit pschological "test" for jobs aps, to make sure you'll kiss the boss's ass, in order to work there. AND, University Book Store. I find lots of odds and ends there, not found anywhere else: papers, art supplies. I'm glad they didn't leave Hilldale.

Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Maxine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 pm

By far the best bookstore is Family Christian Bookstore. Some of you Godless libtards should check it out, you might actually find salvation.

http://www.familychristian.com/

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:39 pm

Maxine wrote:By far the best bookstore is Family Christian Bookstore. Some of you Godless libtards should check it out, you might actually find salvation.

To: Maxine

Not everyone talking about heaven's going there - you hate-filled hag.

Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Maxine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Marvell wrote:
Maxine wrote:By far the best bookstore is Family Christian Bookstore. Some of you Godless libtards should check it out, you might actually find salvation.

To: Maxine

Not everyone talking about heaven's going there - you hate-filled hag.

To: Mr Marvell

I trust I'm going to heaven because Jesus promised me. Atleast you admit there is a heaven which is more that I can usually get from the Godless Madison libtards. I'll pray for you, whihc is probably a waste of time because you are probably one of the gays. But praying for the Godless earns points with Jesus.

Return to “Books”