Favorite Bookstore

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
wind_up_bird

Favorite Bookstore

Postby wind_up_bird » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:23 pm

What's your favorite Madison bookstore?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:48 pm

It's closed.
Bookworks.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:02 am

Hands down - westside Frugal Muse. Great selection, well organized, and NICE, knowlegeable staff.

citizen
Forum Addict

Postby citizen » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:01 pm

Paul's

I haven't been to Avol's since they moved but they always had the best used Architecture section in town.

And I second the sad lament for the departed Bookworks

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:47 pm

I stopped into St. Vinny's on a whim to see if they had any interesting hardcovers. They didn't... mostly encyclopoedias and old text books, but the soft cover bins were filled to the brim with garbage and an occasional gem. The great thing was that they sell their books by the pound, meaning that I was able to snare 15 paperbacks for $1.19. I literally had to dig through a landfill of Tom Clancy and Danielle Steeles, but in the end I walked away with, to name a few:

Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Remarque
Middlemarch, by George Eliot
Exodus, by Leon Uris
Lake Wobegon Days, by Garrison Keillor
As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

Not bad for $1.19.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:08 pm

I really like the book _A Separate Peace_.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:00 am

Favorite Madison bookstore? Jeez, how to pick? University Bookstore has always been dependable. Frugal Muse overall is great, and, I admit I frequent the Borders on University Ave. I know, I know, national chains are bad. But Borders has such a great selection!

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Library Books.

Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:20 am

Frugal Muse on the west side is by far my favorite. They have a great selection and great prices and they always give you a fair amount for what you bring in. The $1 Outlet is really hit or miss but I have found some fantastic deals there.

For new books I like the Borders by Hilldale. It is so much better than the East Towne Borders in my opinion.

I have a question that is somewhat related to the original post -

Why does anyone buy books at mall bookstores like Walden or B. Dalton?They have a terrible selection, typically useless staff, and only mediocre prices.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:47 am

Cory Schmidt wrote:For new books I like the Borders by Hilldale. It is so much better than the East Towne Borders in my opinion.

What makes the Hilldale Borders better than the East Towne borders? It seems to be two stories, but isn't the selection the same? Or does Borders custom tailor the selection for each store?

citizen
Forum Addict

Postby citizen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:52 am

universitylad wrote:What makes the Hilldale Borders better than the East Towne borders? It seems to be two stories, but isn't the selection the same? Or does Borders custom tailor the selection for each store?

Yes, they do. I don't know enough about it to go into detail, but my friends who have worked at Border's told me that the inventory at each store is tailored to the clientele. To oversimplify: things that sell get reordered, and genres that do well get more curatorial attention.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:22 am

Rainbows books if they have what I want, a friend volunteers there too, otherwise Borders. Might have to stop into St Vinnys though, books by the pound sound interesting.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:11 am

Paco wrote:Rainbows books if they have what I want, a friend volunteers there too, otherwise Borders. Might have to stop into St Vinnys though, books by the pound sound interesting.

St. Vinnie's has expanded its book department drastically. They knocked down the wall that made the secret room with the radio, and all that is retail floor space now. I always thought St. Vinnie's book department was an overlooked gem, and it just got even better.

DamnShame

Postby DamnShame » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:20 pm

Cory Schmidt wrote:For new books I like the Borders by Hilldale. It is so much better than the East Towne Borders in my opinion.

The East Towne Borders has a better music selection.
Especially jazz and country. In my opinion.
And a bigger cafe area (more open at least)

I like Paul's, Avol's, and that little place on Willy St.
next to Bongo.....Star Books.

lowfatsourcreme

Postby lowfatsourcreme » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:35 am

I've recently been going to Borders, as I had well over $100 in gift cards there. I don't mind it as a bookstore all that much, but I *do* feel better going to independent stores. I liked Canterbury while it was still there.

Return to “Books”