Ireland

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
KyleKent

Ireland

Postby KyleKent » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Hey guys,
I would really like some information from anyone who has ever been to Ireland! Essentially, what is there to do/see? How is the weather? The people? I am planning on visiting Baltimore, County Cork and I would like to learn as much as I can before I go there. :thumbup:

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ireland

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I went in August 15 years ago. I believe that the Cobh Heritage Center is in or around Cork. We were on a group tour that started in Dublin. It's very walkable. You can visit Trinity College, and see any number of eateries and pubs in the Temple Bar district. We also toured the Rock of Cashel and Blarney Castle. The Irish people were very friendly. They liked Americans back in 02. Now? Who knows?

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 am

Dublin was very nice. We stayed in Clontarf to the north of Dublin. We were in Clontarf castle to be specific, it was a really nice place. We could walk into the center of town in about an hour. Lots of great stuff to do, went to some nearby fishing villages by train and had nice seafood. People were all very friendly, the weather was rainy mostly.

KyleKent

Postby KyleKent » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm

gargantua wrote:The Irish people were very friendly. They liked Americans back in 02. Now? Who knows?

I didn't even consider that :think: but you do have a point, with everything going on around the world, it'll be hard to tell how people perceive us now, but thanks for your response!!

KyleKent

Postby KyleKent » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 pm

kissyfish wrote:Lots of great stuff to do, went to some nearby fishing villages by train and had nice seafood. People were all very friendly, the weather was rainy mostly.

Thanks for the response! I've heard a lot of great things about all the castles there and I am really looking forward to seeing them. I'm a fan of the rain anyway so I'm sure I'll fit right in. :)

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Honeymooned there. Landed in Dublin. Rented a car. Drove to Galway and through Connemara.Visited Mrs. Ned's ancestral town of Clifden. Cliffs of Moher to Limerick. Onto Waterford and back to Dublin. There's truly magic around every corner. Rent a car and explore. Wonderful people and surprisingly good food. Don't miss the Guinness tour and Grafton St in Dublin. Buy a sweater in Spiddal. Stop and see a ruin. They're all over the place. Drive on roads no wider than your car. Get lost. We stayed in B&Bs and the accommodations varied wildly, but the friendly people make it all worth it. We splurged one night and stayed at Ashford Castle.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Last edited by Ned Flanders on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 pm

My only trip to Ireland was at least 10 years ago. The Irish people were very very welcoming. Just think of all the Irish that came to the US and sent $ back home. Plus we are not the English and kicked their butt at least once.
Just take your time and enjoy.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Good advice from Flanders. If there is anywhere in the world to wander off the beaten path and be safe and have a great time, it's Ireland. It's hard to find words to do justice for how cool the Irish people are.

KyleKent

Postby KyleKent » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the great response Flanders! I did have a few other questions about driving while in Ireland. What would I need to rent a car? Is it easy to adjust to driving on the other side of the road? Or will it be easier to take a bus everywhere? Personally, I would like to rent a car so I can go to as many places as possible and just wander around, I'm just not sure about how easy it is to do that. Thanks in advance for any answers :thumbup:

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:42 pm

KyleKent wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the great response Flanders! I did have a few other questions about driving while in Ireland. What would I need to rent a car? Is it easy to adjust to driving on the other side of the road? Or will it be easier to take a bus everywhere? Personally, I would like to rent a car so I can go to as many places as possible and just wander around, I'm just not sure about how easy it is to do that. Thanks in advance for any answers :thumbup:

Screw the bus, you'll need a car. All of the cars are small, because a lot of the roads are really narrow. The opposite side driving is surprisingly easy to master. Watch the drinking and driving, though. The Euros are strict about that. You just need your licence and proof of insurance.

Snake

Postby Snake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 am

gargantua wrote: The Irish people were very friendly. They liked Americans back in 02. Now? Who knows?

I haven't been in Ireland though I was in many countries in Europe including England, and must note that people there (in all Europe) are really friendly and helpful, yeah they say they do have some national jokes about Americans, but I felt absolutely welcomed everywhere. In Italy and France they would say that they don't speak English, but they'd understand you well answering "oui" or "si". Author, please tell about your Ireland experience and what do you think about people there.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:54 am

I have seen interesting reactions to Americans in both Europe and Asia.

I took my wife along to an extended business trip in Germany, followed by a holiday in Paris, back in 2004. There were a few occasions when Germans would very politely, and very earnestly, tell me why they disliked Bush and hoped I would vote for Kerry. Nothing nasty, even comments like "You Americans taught us Democracy, we admire your country, and we think Kerry better represents your country"

I lived in Asia for a while, and some Asians go nuts around Americans. My brother speaks Russian, so a later time when he was in China he would pretend to be Russian so people would leave him alone, since the Chinese don't much like Russians.

Once I went with some Chinese friends to a bar in Taiwan where a lot of Americans hung out. A Chinese girl I was with said she was going to introduce me to a guy who claimed to be an American from Iowa. He greeted me with "Hoy there, Mate!" Clearly from the extreme southern part of Iowa. :-)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote: There were a few occasions when Germans would very politely, and very earnestly, tell me why they disliked Bush and hoped I would vote for Kerry.

I was in Germany during the presidential conventions last summer. The Germans told me Trump reminded them of their leader of the Third Reich. I tried to assure them that Trump had no chance of being elected.

Sadly, I was very wrong.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Snake

Postby Snake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 am

PaleoLiberal wrote:I have seen interesting reactions to Americans in both Europe and Asia.

I lived in Asia for a while, and some Asians go nuts around Americans. My brother speaks Russian, so a later time when he was in China he would pretend to be Russian so people would leave him alone, since the Chinese don't much like Russians.

Once I went with some Chinese friends to a bar in Taiwan where a lot of Americans hung out. A Chinese girl I was with said she was going to introduce me to a guy who claimed to be an American from Iowa. He greeted me with "Hoy there, Mate!" Clearly from the extreme southern part of Iowa. :-)

That sounds funny to pretend to be Russian :lolno:

You know, a friend of mine spends 6 months in Vietnam every year and she says there are soooo many Russians so that the Vietnamese learnt some basics of their language and address all tourists in Russian. So vice versa she is so tired of saying that she doesn't understand Russian :lol: However the Vietnamese do like Russian people and sometimes are harsh at Chinese and Americans (but it's getting better these days for Americans, my friend says).

Where did you live in Asia?

Return to “Travel”