Tropical vacations

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Snake

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Snake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 am

I would love to go to some tropical country for let's say half a year. A Canadian friend of mine spends every winter in Vietnam, Nha Trang. She works online and it doesn’t matter if she stays in snowy Canada or on the beach of Vietnam. She says it's easy and cheap life there, pleasant weather (not too hot from November to March as it's a rainy season), people are nice. These days it looks so easy to work remotely and live half of a year or on a regular basis in tropical countries. I wish I could do that. Well, for now would be great at least to visit South-East Asia: Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos.

Lureg

Postby Lureg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 am

You could spend your short vacations on the beaches in Vietnam and Cambodia. Like your Canadian friend said, it's cheap, warm, and has friendly people. Lots of beaches and caves to explore. Interesting culture too.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Well, we ended up right back where we started in Antigua. Or will, in April. Maybe next time we'll try another island, but we loved our first place so much we couldn't resist. Our cottage:

If anything, that shot understates the blues a bit. At night, the tradewinds in the palms... paradise, straight up.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:09 pm

The island of the silent u. Visited in late winter.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 pm

I've been to Antigua and really enjoyed it a lot. Much of the water is that otherworldly blue color. Some of the boat tours are really cool. We did Eli's Eco-tour which I highly recommend if he's still in business. He is a former Olympic kite surfer, or some such.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Ducatista wrote:Image

Are those Gummy Bears all over the bed? If so, my GF will be booking that room.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The island of the silent u. Visited in late winter.

Yeah, I've had people correct me: "You mean AntigWUH?" Nope.

You know how to live, Henry. We hope to become Caribbean regulars ourselves.

gargantua wrote:We did Eli's Eco-tour which I highly recommend if he's still in business.

Eli's Eco Tour is still going strong. We're doing two snorkeling tours, not sure if we're going with the same company Eli works for. My husband made the reservations, all I have to do is show up.

narcoleptish wrote:Are those Gummy Bears all over the bed? If so, my GF will be booking that room.

Ha! If they were, we'd be there RIGHT NOW.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Ducatista wrote:Yeah, I've had people correct me: "You mean AntigWUH?" Nope.
Same for me. They say "Waw-Keh-Shaw," and I say nope: "Waw-Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Sha."

The main difference here, though, is that Waukesha is most definitely not a destination.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The island of the silent u. Visited in late winter.

Yeah, I've had people correct me: "You mean AntigWUH?" Nope.

You know how to live, Henry. We hope to become Caribbean regulars ourselves.

I try. I'm jealous of all your time in Benelux, even if it was work related.

Next up for us will probably include Cuba, before Trump shuts down such travel for good. Been to Guantanamo when in the Navy, nearly fifty years ago. But I don't think that counts.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:31 pm

fennel wrote:Same for me. They say "Waw-Keh-Shaw," and I say nope: "Waw-Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Sha."

Huh. Lived there (the county) for my first 18 years and don't recall ever hearing Waw-Keeee-Sha. It was always Wah'-Keh-Shaw.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 pm

jman111 wrote:
fennel wrote:Same for me. They say "Waw-Keh-Shaw," and I say nope: "Waw-Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Sha."

Huh. Lived there (the county) for my first 18 years and don't recall ever hearing Waw-Keeee-Sha. It was always Wah'-Keh-Shaw.
Yes, it was re-dubbed during the 2008 election, as I remember.

"Screaming Waukesha Man" made the headlines by way of a McCain town hall event. To his credit, McCain set the screamer right, but the reputation and ad-hoc pronunciation stuck for this formerly unknown burgh. ( I kid, somewhat regarding its obscurity.)

That reputation was more firmly set, later, when a certain County Clerk magically discovered "missing votes" in the late stages of a State Supreme Court election.

So, yep: "Waw-keesha"

(Bob bless all you Waukesha refugees.)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 pm

So, what with this lineup of hurricanes, I'm wondering whether Québec City might be a good stand-in for a tropical vacation. Do folks have recommendations in that regard?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire are all outside the hurricane zone.
And you could also choose to pay more to avoid going during hurricane season. It isn't that long. It just seems like it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 am

fennel wrote:So, what with this lineup of hurricanes, I'm wondering whether Québec City might be a good stand-in for a tropical vacation. Do folks have recommendations in that regard?

i would strongly recommend it on general principle

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:59 am

gargantua wrote:Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire are all outside the hurricane zone.
And you could also choose to pay more to avoid going during hurricane season. It isn't that long. It just seems like it.

except once in a blue moon . . . i know that curaçao has been hit at least once and hurricanes have gone across northern venezuela, colombia, guyana & suriname . . . they used to think that the coriolis effect is not strong enough down that far, but then again, a tropical depression or storm actually formed above 1° south latitude and crossed the equator near indonesia a few years ago . . . a number of tropical storms have reached québec city intact and at least two were almost hurricanes, actually . . .

Return to “Travel”