Ashland, WI

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Ashland, WI

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Just drove up Monday and Tuesday to look at a couple houses and some land for sale. And also drove thru Washburn and Bayfield. Seems like a nice rural area, reminded me of 70s...

Thoughts...?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ashland, WI

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 pm

It's nice up there if you can tolerate about an extra month of winter. Not as liberal as Madison/Dane County, but more than much of the rest of the state.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 pm

I have some friends up there who love the area dearly, have lived there for years, and aren't leaving, but they would remind you of the long cold winters with very few people around. Maybe that's just what you're looking for.

They like the surprisingly progressive political traditions in the area, and i get the impression you'd like that aspect too.

In other words, x2 to what G just wrote.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 pm

I like to go camping in the area around Clam Lake, like Day Lake and Beaver Lake in the Chewy Nat'l Forest. But only in the June to Sept season.

If I lived there full time I'd have no job, no friends and would drink myself to death even faster than I'm doing here.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:50 pm

If you like wilderness, it puts you a lot closer to the Boundary Waters area to the northwest, and the relatively pristine national forests of the UP. Duluth seemed like a cool place when I visited one summer and is only about as far as Milwaukee is from Madison. So it's not like you're totally cut off from civilization, but it's a significant change from what we are accustomed to.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 am

I like Ashland quite a bit. I went up in that area on vacation a few times as a kid and I always loved the South Shore region. Between the Apostles, Chequamegon NF, and Brule River SF there is no shortage of places to get out in the woods in the area. I've also been up for work many times over the last 12 years and I've stayed in Ashland a few times. South Shore Brewery is located up there, and there's a place in town called the 2nd Street Bistro that has the best whitefish sandwich.

The winters though... I've rolled up to Cornucopia in the middle of January and it is a whole other level of winter weather in those parts.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 pm

I didn't get to hang out enough to get a strong feel for it. It seemed like a mixed bag of all of the above. It's kind of refreshing because it's so singular, but also kind of isolated, so maybe it'll just be a place to getway from it all once a year... going back w/a friend later this summer to camp out for a couple nights, and see how that works out.

Return to “Travel”