Help with maps

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Help with maps

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:43 am

Kurt_w, you were using Google classic maps. When I reverted to classic, I no longer had the snapping back issue, so that was an inadvertent win :-)

However, when I attempted to access the map I'd created on my phone, it didn't work. Just shows me the common routes of interstate or 12/18. Which sucks, because I really like using the voice navigation.

I guess at this point I can either print out the map I've created, or grab a paper map somewhere and a highlighter. Ugh.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 am

I can do the same thing with the "new" (non-classic) version of Google Maps. It seems to work fine here, including saving the URL, closing the browser, re-opening it, and pasting it back in to the address bar.

Dunno why it doesn't let you see the map on your phone.

As Galoot says, you could use the new version of Google Maps, click Route Options, and check the box to Avoid Highways. That might be enough for your purposes, though it won't solve the problem of wanting to be able to drag the route around.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:01 am

Google has yet to really translate My Maps to a usable mobile format. It's not just you, Violet.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:06 pm

kurt_w wrote:I can do the same thing with the "new" (non-classic) version of Google Maps....

you could use the new version of Google Maps, click Route Options, and check the box to Avoid Highways....

Try going way, way off the beaten path, to little residential streets. See if it lets them stick. It won't for me, unless I use classic.

I always check 'avoid highways'.

Book Police: that is super lame of Google/Google maps. Any luck with other map apps?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Google has yet to really translate My Maps to a usable mobile format. It's not just you, Violet.

I was able just now to customize a route in maps on my computer, copy the url, and then email it to myself. When I opened the email on my phone and clicked the link, it opened up the custom route in google maps on my phone. Just an FYI.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm

I literally just discovered this yesterday myself. Halleluia!!!

Return to “Travel”