Hotel Prices

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Hotel Prices

Postby Dulouz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:13 pm

I am a bit shocked at hotel prices.

We've all heard about the airline depression and the effect on fuel prices, so I am a bit amazed to see O'Hare area hotel prices skyrocketing!

With O'Hare traffic down 10% and people doing "Stay-cations", one would think that hotels in destination cities would be begging for traffic.

This one hotel that I stayed at in June for a transfer flight was $120 a night with a beautiful view of Penske Trucking and the O'Hare Tower and no hope of any business or dining spot within walking distance (the staff were kind enough to use the shuttle van for a cigarette run for my wife). Now, they are charging $170!

The W. Higgins Hotels have also jumped about $75 a night. The whole value of staying by the airport is that one can take the train to the city and save the driving and the gas. At these prices, I might as well stay in China Town or at the Drake.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Holiday Inn, La Quinta, or Red Roof in Arlington Hts, would be a lot cheaper. I've never understood, why, if I just want a clean, quiet, safe place to sleep, I have to pay over $100.

Even with the number of Hotels in Madison increasing, I can understand the attractiveness of timeshare apartments!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 am

I just booked the Wyndham O'Hare for a December stay, park and fly for $129, the same price I got when that hotel was a Raddison in 2005.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:39 pm

It really depends on when and where you book. I've gotten nailed in Chicago having only one day to book, but I've also gotten a few great deals when I'm either ahead of the curve or catch a last minute deal on Priceline et al. Overall some places have brought up their prices but I haven't noticed it industry-wide. However, since I'm traveling on business for the most part, I don't really put in that much effort to get the lowest price since it's all reimbursed anyways.

Return to “Travel”