Southern European wine regions

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Southern European wine regions

Postby gozer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:17 am

Madsci wrote:Dalmatia is the region of Croatia on the wine tour wish list.

istria also on the way there or from?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm

there are also a number ofvery good red and white wines produced in the vicinty of dubrovnik, therefore various in montenegro and bih as well as croatia itself, being over towards mostar and further down the coast. . . as well as particularly good hercegovinian white wines of the graševina, reisling and other such types . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm

gozer wrote:there are also a number ofvery good red and white wines produced in the vicinty of dubrovnik, therefore various in montenegro and bih as well as croatia itself, being over towards mostar and further down the coast. . . as well as particularly good hercegovinian white wines of the graševina, reisling and other such types . . .

Would you be so good as to recommend any specific wines and vintages, now that your description has whetted our appetites, good sir?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 pm

the grgić winery near split puts out several very well-received reds which i also recall coming across regularly on wine lists in restaurants in vienna, zagreb, and budapest . . . i recall good riesling and chenin blanc wines from there or nearby, the graševina grape was invented in the region and there are numerous good wines made with it from various parts of dalmatia, as well as istria, some parts of the interior such as near karlovac, and elsewhere in the region . . . the one west hercegovinan wine i recall off the top of my head is žilavka which is a dry white wine from near or in mostar and similar ones from the area around međugorje . . . this one i have been lucky enough to find in the "other" aisle in the wine section at both the west and east madison woodman's too -- along with red wines from the golan heights, a couple of chenin blancs from the area around stellenbosch in south africa, a red wine from north dakota whose name escapes me at the moment . . .

Return to “Travel”