La Fete de Marquette's New Home

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
madmax
Forum Addict

La Fete de Marquette's New Home

Postby madmax » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:49 am

This summer the Wil-Mar Neighborhood Center Board, staff and hundreds of volunteers will host the spectacular La Fête de Marquette à La Rue Dickinson. The festival will be staged from July 9th - 12th and will be moved one block east from last year’s location. Last year's site, the Marquip complex on Baldwin St., has begun filling in with tenants. So to avoid conflict with these new resident businesses, festival organizers are moving the event in close proximity to last year's locale. The new La Fête space is defined by East Main St. on the south, South Dickinson St. on the west and East Washington Ave. on the north. The new spacious festival grounds will provide unobstructed views of the stage and the great performers. The expanded area will allow for larger tents that will provide relief from the July sun. Once again this is a temporary move while the proposed Central Park, La Fête’s eventual home, awaits major improvement.

La Fête de Marquette : 2009 Schedule

Thursday-July 9th-5:00-10:30
La Soirée du Co-op- Willy St. Coop Annual Membership Mtg. (Open to all)
7:00-8:30 --- Curley Taylor and Zydeco Trouble (Lafayette, Louisiana)
9:00-10:30 --- The Duhks (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Friday - July 10th - 5:00- 11:00- Le Nuit des Étoiles
5:30- 6:45- Claude Méthé et Dentdelion (Quebec)
7:30- 8:45 - Boukman Eksperyans (Port-au-Prince, Haiti)
9:30- 11:00 - Tab Benoit (Louisiana)

Saturday - July 11th- Noon-11:00- Le Jour du Monde
12:30- 1:30 Tent -Robin Pluer with Mrs. Fun
2:15-3:15 Tent - Robin Pluer with Mrs. Fun
3:15- 4:30- Stage-Chic Gamine (Winnipeg)
5:15- 6:30 Stage -Watcha Clan (Marseilles/Algeria)
7:15 - 8:45 Stage - Balla Tounkara et Groupe Spirit (Mali/NYC)
9:30- 11:00 Stage - Lura (Cape Verde)*

Sunday - July 12th - Noon - 9pm- Le Jour de Louisiane
9:00- Noon-MMM "Acoustic Café" Breakfast w/Claude Méthé et Dentdelion et
Chic Gamine
Noon - 1pm ---John Chimes
1:30 -2:30-Mama Digdowns
3:00- 4:15 - Feufollet
4:45- 6:00 -Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole
7:00- 8:30-The Radiators

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: La Fete de Marquette's New Home

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:22 am

Please, please tell me that there are plans for PLENTY of free water. Lots to drink. A "cool down" sprinkler or shower would be a perfect addition. It's July.

Bottled water only will not cut it!

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 am

Radiators, it has been a while, it should be great. Love the Rads.

madmax
Forum Addict

Postby madmax » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Please, please tell me that there are plans for PLENTY of free water. Lots to drink. A "cool down" sprinkler or shower would be a perfect addition. It's July.

Bottled water only will not cut it!

The sprinkler's a great idea! Please carry in some water if dehydration has been a problem in the past. The free festival idea works if you and your chums come and buy a beverage or two. That's how the Wil-Mar Center turns a superb musical event into a fundraiser. The Vera Court Neighborhood Center will be selling water and soft drinks to raise money for their programs also.
If we charged $25 a day for admission you could expect a water fountain or two. We certainly discourage people from bringing coolers to this event. So please appreciate the overall cost of providing huge tents to keep you cool, great staging and sound and great music from all over the French speaking world. So we want you to come thirsty, purchase a nice cold beverage and support the event and have a memorable time.
Bob Q

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:26 pm

madmax wrote:Please carry in some water if dehydration has been a problem in the past. The free festival idea works if you and your chums come and buy a beverage or two. That's how the Wil-Mar Center turns a superb musical event into a fundraiser
Keep in mind that having readily accessible (read free) water on hand is a safety issue during summer months – apart from being common sense – and is something the public can reasonably expect at any public event. We're talking tap water here. Do you anticipate charging for using portable toilets? Or not having them at all? Sell all the Pellegrino and Perrier you like, but there's no reason not to have an ample supply of basic drinking water on hand.

So just take care of the minimal needs: seating for the elderly/handicapped, water, restrooms, first aid, public security ... etc. Once the basics are covered, it will make it easier for festival-goers to make those discretionary purchases they're eager to make.

For me, I love the availability of microbrews beers at local festivals (Spotted Sow notwithstanding), but if I'm going to drink more than one, I need to know there's ample (free) water at hand.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Bob,

Love the festival every year, and really, all the neighborhood festivals you help to put on.

May I make a humble suggestion? Is there any way to just run a hose (with a valve at the end of it) from a nearby business and then reimburse them for their city water usage that weekend? I would think that judicious use (a sign reminding people to close the valve when finished) would not amount to much extra cost, and people would be able to fill drink cups, douse their heads, etc.

I realize we're not in the middle of the desert and this isn't Burning Man, but considering there is music starting at noon on two days in July when it could easily reach into the 90's or higher, and with alcohol being consumed, it really is a safety issue. Sure, you can still have bottled water, and people will buy it, but many either don't have that much extra cash on hand (attending/dancing for several hours in hot weather can mean quarts of water lost that need replenishing), or are morally opposed to the bottled water industry and the waste it generates. I fall into the latter category, but trust me, you will still make plenty off of me in beer sales (assuming enough water to balance it out).

Many thanks on having more tent space, btw. Shade is always a good thing. Best wishes for a great fest!

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 am

ilikebeans wrote:Sure, you can still have bottled water, and people will buy it, but many either don't have that much extra cash on hand (attending/dancing for several hours in hot weather can mean quarts of water lost that need replenishing), or are morally opposed to the bottled water industry and the waste it generates. I fall into the latter category, but trust me, you will still make plenty off of me in beer sales (assuming enough water to balance it out).

So, you will spend money for beer, but not water, and cannot possibly bring water from home? Where does the beer you drink come from? Wasteful bottles or cans?

I kind of just being a dick here, this is a free festival and a good one at that, maybe you can adapt for the weekend and buy a few bottles that you can recycle.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:02 am

The water and beer prices are very very reasonable for a FREE festival. Tote it if you are too cheap to spend a buck on a bottled water. I don't think its Perrier or Pellegrino either (although you may be able to get it). The horse has left the barn: ballparks, concert venues, music festivals (free or not), peddle bottled water and profit hugely from it. Many of these venues do not allow you to even carry it in. This is an excellent compromise at a FREE event.

For a good cause and a buck, your safety issue is solved. I do understand getting free water at Burning Man or at high altitude ski resorts because it is a safety issue. But I seem to remember paying a lot of money to enter those places. Buck the fuck up.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:08 am

I also fall into the environmental opposition to bottled water category. Other beverages are sold in bottles and cans so that a manufactured product can be transported, stored, sold, and consumed easily. Drinkable water is available at every building in the city, and many outdoor locations. It's just wasteful to bottle, transport, sell, water in bottles that is no better than the stuff out of the tap. And the waste from the bottles - always plastic - is horrid.

I buy food and beer at the festivals, but won't drink crap like Bud Lite or other undrinkable swill. (Spotted Cow is swill too, but I sometimes get desperate enough to drink it on occasion.) I also bring water and a refillable bottle from home. But not enough for all day, heavy beer consumption, or dancing.

Water really is a safety issue in summer. If it's really hot, it could mean the difference between discomfort and an ambulance. And pouring it over your head gets expensive if you have to buy it in bottles. If there's no water, people may actually leave instead of buying more at booths.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 am

If the environment is sooooooooooo important to you, you shouldn't be contributing money to the brewing industry anyway. Last I heard they are fairly big polluters. Just admit it, you want more free stuff. At any music fest anywhere else, beer would be 8 bucks and water 4.50, and it would be expected. Here, the whiners want free water (even though they are allowed to tote it in) at a FREE music festival to balance their alcohol consumption because they are morally opposed to bottled water. But the canning, bottling and polluting of the beer industry is OK because they need to get drunk and dance. That's money I can part with, but a terrible awful one dollar water, can't do it. Unbelievable.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Here's the deal with FdM and most other local fests: You can bring in your own water. Hell, you can bring in a lot of your own stuff. Keep in mind that the purpose of the fests are to raise money, which they do via vending, however.

But whereas it would be a substantial hassle for the festival to provide water, bringing it yourself in your own nalgene or canteen or whatever means you don't have to wreck the planet or pay for it.

I know this particular fest feels bound to the Willy-Marquette neighborhood, but it would be nice if they found a permanent site that is more comfortable than a scorching parking lot. Tenney? Burr Jones?

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If the environment is sooooooooooo important to you, you shouldn't be contributing money to the brewing industry anyway. Last I heard they are fairly big polluters.

Citation please? 'Cause when I did a Google search, nothing too alarming came up.

boston_jeff wrote:Just admit it, you want more free stuff.

Everyone wants free stuff. Even Donald Trump and Bill Gates. But that's not why I want there to be water available. It's a health and safety issue.

I don't generally attend music festivals, so I can't speak to the prices there.

I attend community festivals, some of which have music that I very much like. That's the way I see Fete de Marquette. It's a place to be with friends. If a donation canister comes around, I put money in. I have no problem paying for the entertainment. However, if there is no water available, I will go somewhere that has water. I may or may not come back, depending on how far I have to go to get water. If I don't come back, then I don't and buy beer, food, trinkets, or CDs to support the entertainment and festival.

I have been to paid venues and refilled cups or bottles from the drinking fountain. In outdoor situations, I try to carry a water bottle. If they won't let me bring one in full, I will bring an empty one. People with health issues (and I'm not in that category unless I get a headache from dehydration) need access to water. It's not always about money.

As Jason said, it's a scorching parking lot in summer. A hose would allow people to cool down, and maybe even have some fun. Hell, I'd drop a buck in the donation can for a couple minutes with the hose. It could be another booth!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:36 pm

robbie webber wrote:A hose would allow people to cool down, and maybe even have some fun. Hell, I'd drop a buck in the donation can for a couple minutes with the hose. It could be another booth!

Here's my idea - combine the hose concession with sales of sunblock, in a one-stop heat relief / sun safety booth.

I've even got the perfect marketing slogan:

"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:41 pm

jjoyce wrote:Here's the deal with FdM and most other local fests: You can bring in your own water. Hell, you can bring in a lot of your own stuff. Keep in mind that the purpose of the fests are to raise money, which they do via vending, however.

But whereas it would be a substantial hassle for the festival to provide water, bringing it yourself in your own nalgene or canteen or whatever means you don't have to wreck the planet or pay for it.

I know this particular fest feels bound to the Willy-Marquette neighborhood, but it would be nice if they found a permanent site that is more comfortable than a scorching parking lot. Tenney? Burr Jones?

Right, bring it in. If safety is the issue, don't drink more beer than you can balance out with the water you tote.

Its a bit of a whiny argument. They let us bring in our own water, but I really wish they would provide free water. Even though its a free fest and they need to recoup some money by selling bottled water. A bit of a non-issue IMO. And yeah, there is pollution and waste with brewing and bottling/canning beer, so saying you don't drink bottled water, but you do drink beer is a bit of an inconsistent env. argument. If the env. is paramount you shouldn't even be going to large outdoor festivals. Shopping cart environmentalism...

Nate
Forum Addict

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:17 pm

robbie webber wrote:
Here's my idea - combine the hose concession with sales of sunblock, in a one-stop heat relief / sun safety booth.

I've even got the perfect marketing slogan:

"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"

Nice!!

Return to “Hype Exchange”