On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Does Madison need another newspaper?

Yes
67%
No
17%
Who cares?
17%

Total votes: 24

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:48 pm

The Wisconsinite will make its debut in Madison tomorrow!

It's a bi-weekly paper focusing on local and state news and entertainment - and some surprises you'll have to check out for yourself tomorrow.

You can check online at www.wisconsinite.net to view our weblog.

We are still looking for writers ... I can be contacted at bkoch@wisconsinite.net if you would like to find out more.

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:00 pm

I like how the "conservative" paper and the "liberal" paper are both owned by the same company.

In short, YES. MORE PAPERS!

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:10 pm

regnad_kcin wrote:I like how the "conservative" paper and the "liberal" paper are both owned by the same company.

Hey! It's called leveraging your business interes....

Oh wait. No it's not. It's called pissing in the press pool.

More papers, PLEASE! That Madison Newspapers Thang Inc. is low-grade aviary drop cloth material!

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Re: On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Postby cattyr » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:38 pm

minicat wrote:We are still looking for writers ...

blunt are you listening?

minicat, very cool and congrats! If you're coming out Middleton way can you let me know where? I would suggest Hubbard Avenue Diner, Hody Bar, and maybe the Village Green as possible distribution sites that see a lot of traffic.

Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Sinclair » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:52 pm

This may get more exposure in; "In The News" that here in "Hyped"
Sounds interesting, I'll be a reader!

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:52 pm

yah!

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: On the streets tomorrow.....a new paper!

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:00 pm

cattyr wrote:If you're coming out Middleton way can you let me know where? I would suggest Hubbard Avenue Diner, Hody Bar, and maybe the Village Green as possible distribution sites that see a lot of traffic.

Thanks for the suggestions on possible places in Middleton. I don't think we've managed to make a trip out that far yet seeking places to distribute the paper. That is in the plans, though. We kind of ran out of time before the first issue!

We're starting in the middle and working outward ... it should be pretty easy to find on State and Willy, and I know there's places on Monroe, Atwood, Johnson and other well-traveled streets as well.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:38 pm

I think it's great. Isthmus content, what little there is these days, has become tired and it's been slipping in the quality of their local news coverage for a while now (and barely covers state gov at all). Maybe having a little competition from a young upstart - better writing, getting beat on a few scoops - will inspire it back to its former glory.

Monopolies make people lazy, and this could be good for everybody involved.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:04 pm

Congratulations and good luck in the future.

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:45 pm

congrats! looking forward to checking it out. I am of the belief that healthy competition among businesses is always a good thing.

hasta69

hizell yes!

Postby hasta69 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:30 pm

look for it at the Middleton Public Library.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:06 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
regnad_kcin wrote:I like how the "conservative" paper and the "liberal" paper are both owned by the same company.

Hey! It's called leveraging your business interes....

Oh wait. No it's not. It's called pissing in the press pool.

More papers, PLEASE! That Madison Newspapers Thang Inc. is low-grade aviary drop cloth material!

Mr. Schick, you neglected to mention that this exciting new rag has seen fit to commit your unique brand of bile to the printed page. BTW, isn't it fun to use Isthmus resources to hype a product aimed at cutting into its market.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:05 pm

I haven't spoken with any of the Wisconsinite staff, but I doubt their goal is to cut into Isthmus' readership (despite early boasts that it will "gut" Isthmus). If the first issue is any indication, it's a completely different animal that, should it succeed, will simply be added to area readers' collection of weekly pickups, not replace it.

Good luck, Wisconsinite. You're starting a publication in a crowded market during some tight times.

Dogma
Forum Addict

Postby Dogma » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:04 pm

I'm all for more and varied papers. My only problem is that I have caught several of your deliverers simply dropping Wisconsinites on top of a stack of Isthmuses. At the very least, have them wait until no one is looking.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 am

Dogma wrote:I'm all for more and varied papers. My only problem is that I have caught several of your deliverers simply dropping Wisconsinites on top of a stack of Isthmuses. At the very least, have them wait until no one is looking.

We didn't have several deliverers, only two. Are you sure it wasn't someone else consolidating stacks?

Return to “Hype Exchange”