USDA dietary guidelines

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

USDA dietary guidelines

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 am

Are any of you following these guidelines? It's not easy.

Bacon, soda & too few nuts tied to big portion of US deaths
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bacon-soda-t ... 15771.html

"Good" foods that were under-eaten include: nuts and seeds, seafood rich in omega-3 fats including salmon and sardines; fruits and vegetables; and whole grains. "Bad" foods or nutrients that were over-eaten include salt and salty foods; processed meats including bacon, bologna and hot dogs; red meat including steaks and hamburgers; and sugary drinks.

The study's recommended amounts, based on U.S. government guidelines, nutrition experts' advice, and amounts found to be beneficial or harmful in previous research.

"Good" ingredients
—Fruits: 3 average-sized fruits daily
—Vegetables: 2 cups cooked or 4 cups raw vegetables daily
—Nuts/seeds: 5 1-ounce servings per week — about 20 nuts per serving
—Whole grains: 2 ½ daily servings
—Polyunsaturated fats, found in many vegetable oils: 11 percent of daily calories
—Seafood: about 8 ounces weekly

"Bad" ingredients
—Red meat: 1 serving weekly — 1 medium steak or the equivalent
—Processed meat: None recommended
—Sugary drinks: None recommended
—Salt: 2,000 milligrams daily — just under a teaspoon."

Diet guidelines: http://tinyurl.com/j5lcrv8

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: USDA dietary guidelines

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 am

To a large extent, I do. I have salmon, cod, and tuna as main dinner courses each week. I seldom have red meat. I don't drink soda. It's not hard to eat right if you make a habit of it, and season it to your taste.
My vice is my fondness for craft beers. But that's not an everyday thing. So my weight is under control and has been for quite awhile. It's not something that you have to grit your teeth about and endure. For me it was a gradual lifestyle change, so at this point it's just second nature. I never feel deprived, but I'm sure if I'd tried to do it all at once I may not have been able to.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 am

Good for you but not too much tuna. Has mercury. Fruits and veggies are the hardest parts for most people.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 am

Shorty wrote:Good for you but not too much tuna. Has mercury. Fruits and veggies are the hardest parts for most people.

I hear ya. I get a lot of my fruit from having a smoothie for lunch. I do better with veggies during farmers market season....not as well as I should in the cold weather months.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 am

The big one was quitting soda entirely. Including those power drinks, gator aid, lemonade, and all the rest of those syrup-candy things. Once I did that, other diet changes were easier. I still eat more red and processed meat than I ought to but my fruit and nut intake went way up. And I switched to several small meals a day instead of three.

That, and one of those electronic pedometer things to help me keep track of how much walking I should be doing, helped a lot.

I suppose I should say the big one was quitting smoking. But it took almost five years from the day I quit smoking to quitting sugar juice, so I forget that was probably a factor.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm

I quit smoking 40 years ago, and I gained 34 pounds within 3 months since I regained appetite and could really taste food again.
I do miss cheese. I haven't completely eliminated it from my diet by any means. But I love cheese, and if there were no consequences I'd have a lot more than I do.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”