Guacamole Recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Guacamole Recipes

Postby gozer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:13 am

Bwis53 wrote:I was surprised at the variations online. I like mine with avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and no cilantro, no hot peppers,no lime. I enjoy the garlic quac from Whole Foods. Gotta good recipe? (I prefer savory to hot.)

savoury as in the one of the seven cardinal taste types also referred to as umami? since it appears to be sensed through taste buds responding to glutamate type chemicals, a small amount of monosodium glutamate -- or a more subtle way would be to integrate cucumbers, which naturally contain it, most types of pickle juice in small quantites and tomatoes, with which i have been experimenting this week, particularly the seeds and pulp. i also did 62 per cent lemon juice, 31 per cent lime juice and 7 per cent v8 juice . . . i have also experimented with changing the juice ratio when using lemon salt, lemon-lime salt, lime salt, pickle salt, tomato salt, and celery salt . . . another juice recipe that works is 58 percent lemon, 28 per cent lime, 7 per cent v8 juice, 5 per cent pickle juice (claussen's kosher dill spears)

with plain or other salts . . . different degrees of fineness, different sources, and intended end use can be varied . . . using the pink himalayan salt by itself or in combination with sea salt is also another variable . . . the pink salt, which when i first heard of it because of indian or a i p pink heroin n° 3 and 4, contains essentially all of the alkaline metals and alkalai earth metals in addition to such things as trace amounts of rare earh elements, gold, silver, platinum & friends and oodles of all of the halogens save astatine (or maybe they do, for a dozen atoms at a time

also, the biochemical angle to it probably explains why angel dust, special k, miltown, georgia home boy, doriden, disco biscuits, early barbiturates and the like have a side effect known as taste perversion. back in the day there was an entire series of morphine-based barbiturates -- yummy! "doctor doctor -- i am a chef*/cook/restaurant reviewer/health inspector and i need some georgia home boy and ludes and seconal; too bad that today's youth, and everyone else, of not only ludes but doors & fours, not to mention blue velvet, kibbles & bits, and ts & blues . . . the united nations (through unesco) should have taken over those and other such things when the manufacturers gave into the fuckwad pin head f d a . . .

---
* a chef is also a critical cog in the wheels of the traditional opium den -- they scoop up some op from the container and form it into a round, easily vapourised "pill" which goes on/in the pipe . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:03 am

fennel wrote:
john_titor wrote:... onion powders ...
Unless this is some kind of Jetson's reference, I'm afraid to ask what that is.

I'm trying to think ... onion powder, tomato powder, meat powder ... I dunno. Lemon powder??

onion powder, and even more so garlic powder, are area denial weapons for some reason not listed in the usual lists of chemical and biological weapons . . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 am

fennel wrote:

I'm trying to think ... onion powder, tomato powder, meat powder ... I dunno. Lemon powder??

celery salt is a very good choice too . . . dill by itself, fennel, the oils of lemon and lime too . . .rosemary, pepper and peppercorns of all the different types . . . .

the various lime and/or lemon salts, the oils of lemon and lime too . . . powders of lemon juice and lime juice, as well as fresh-squeezed, and reconstituted versions, can have flavours and other properties unique enough to warrant experimenting with the different combinations and permutations of lime/lemon/other . . .

very finely chopped red, orange, yellow and green bell peppers as well as other types work well and i keep bowls on them on the side, as well as weed and and the leaves of coca and/or papaver somniferum linnaeus 1753 . . . guacamole or the avacado-juice-spices base both work as general condiments on lots of things including chips and sandwiches.

meyer lemons, key limes, and the other types also are good to try out . . .

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 pm

gozer wrote:
fennel wrote:

onion powder, and even more so garlic powder, are area denial weapons for some reason not listed in the usual lists of chemical and biological weapons . . . .

1. Like, whatever.

2. Three words: Flavor Town.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:12 pm

john_titor wrote:
1. Like, whatever.

2. Three words: Flavor Town.
3. Gatorade® powder!!

Say, should this be in the Biking category, now?

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:17 pm

I like to make a simple guac. I use a ripe avocado, fresh lemon juice, some zest if the lemon is organic, S&P, sometimes cilantro if I have it fresh, and finely diced chives. Often with a diced tomato. Jalapeno slices or hot salsa on the side. I like to mash the avocado with a fork so it's still a little chunky. Lime is fun once in a while but I prefer the lemon.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:20 pm

gozer, I like the addition of finely diced sweet peppers. I'll try that next time. Not green, but red or orange sweet pepper would be nice.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:44 pm

HotPepper wrote:I like to make a simple guac. I use a ripe avocado, fresh lemon juice, some zest if the lemon is organic, S&P, sometimes cilantro if I have it fresh, and finely diced chives. Often with a diced tomato. Jalapeno slices or hot salsa on the side. I like to mash the avocado with a fork so it's still a little chunky. Lime is fun once in a while but I prefer the lemon.
That's an appealing recipe, especially with the zest and chives. We tend to forget about our chives between the occasional epiphany when we think to add them to new dishes. And amen to the fork technique: texture rules — unless one's jaws are wired shut.

But I would never wobble on the cilantro unless you're dealing with first-time learners. And what about garlic? Don't you think, at least, a light touch is in order?

As far as lemon versus lime: I like lime best ... unless I'm having lemon — in which case there is nothing so wonderful as lemon.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Lemon or lime. Depends on what I want at the time. I'm glad you mentioned garlic. Sometimes I add fresh finely diced garlic, and sometimes I add the smoked garlic powder from Spice House in Milwaukee. When I made this for the family I needed to omit cilantro because my older brother was one of those to whom it tasted like soap. Perish the thought! I love adding citrus zest to recipes. It really makes a difference.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”