Don't drink when eating

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Don't drink when eating

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am

Most Americans are doing this wrong. It's best not to drink water or anything when eating a meal, especially iced drinks. But what if you start choking? Then it would be good to have a drink nearby.

http://diet-sage.com/health-news/should ... ring-meals

"Don’t drink cold water with your meals.
An idea that gained popularity a few years ago was that drinking cold water increased your metabolism, so theoretically you could drink cold water all day long and lose weight! What an exciting thought! However, this isn’t entirely true! While drinking cold water does speed up your metabolism a little, if you are drinking cold water during a meal then you are using energy to heat up the water that should be used for digestion.

When you are eating, you want your body to be able to focus all your energy at breaking down food so your body can easily absorb nutrients and eliminate waste. Poor digestion could actually cause you to gain weight, because toxins can build up in your digestive organs which can inhibit your ability to breakdown fat.

Don’t drink liquids with your meals.
Drinking liquids during your meal dilutes naturally occurring enzymes that aid in digestion which makes it harder to breakdown food. If you are chewing adequately then you are creating saliva and should be able to eat comfortably without lots of extra liquids. Let your saliva naturally help you swallow your food.

On the flip side
Drinking water helps your stomach liquefy food. This may aid digestion and nutrient absorption. It may also prevent constipation and bloating by keeping your stools soft and your digestive tract lubricated. Drinking water with your meals has been used as a weight loss tool by helping to fill you up faster.

If I don’t drink water with my meals, when should I drink it?
Drink water or other liquids 20-30 minutes before you eat and wait at least 30 minutes after.

It is clear that drinking water before and after you eat is beneficial to the digestive process. Drinking water about 30 minutes before you eat will help keep your body hydrated which results in optimal digestion. Drinking water about 30 minutes after a meal can also help in hydrating the body during the latter parts of the digestive process.

Keep in mind that if you are dehydrated then drinking liquid during a meal would be more helpful than not drinking while eating. If you are dehydrated, your body is going to struggle in order to digest food and deliver nutrients where they are needed."
Last edited by Shorty on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Don't drink when eating

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am

Better advice: drink water when you're thirsty.
That's true whether you're eating a meal or not.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51 am

What about a cold beer with a meal?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:58 am

What about a cold beer as a meal?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Any information from a diet organization is worthless.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Roy wrote:Any information from a diet organization is worthless.

Chew on that for awhile.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:46 pm

A sweetie and I went to an Ayurvedic French-Indian restaurant in Windsor, Ontario years ago. It was run by an old couple who were very congenial but, eh, insistent on certain things. They wouldn't serve you water until after the meal, and they sometimes would decide for you what you were going to have — always explaining in cheerful detail why that was best.

It was really good food, and we enjoyed ourselves.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Did they allow you to have some wine with your meal?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:45 pm

I wonder if you would be allowed to leave if you didn't comply with each and every requirement.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:46 pm

I like the sound of that restaurant in Windsor, Ontario. Whatever you do, don't eat Tilapia while drinking.

This is Why You Should Never Eat Tilapia
http://wisemindhealthybody.com/jessica/ ... a/2/?t=fdb

"Tilapia farming is usually done on an industrial scale, with thousands of fish being harvested every day. Their feed is not natural — in the wild, tilapia would eat algae and lake plants, but the farms fatten up the fish on GMO corn and soy pellets. The amount of healthful fish oils in these creatures is almost non-existent, negating the main reason why fish is so good for us."

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:11 pm

gargantua wrote:I wonder if you would be allowed to leave if you didn't comply with each and every requirement.
I expect so. It's been a long time, but my sense is that most of their first-time customers already knew what to expect. It was in the vein of Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, in a way. And I don't remember that they had wine on the menu.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”