Tofu recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
HotPepper

Tofu recipes

Postby HotPepper » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:41 pm

I like tofu at most restaurants, mostly Asian, but haven't mastered the techniques at home. I love tofu that is crispy and brown on the outside and creamy on the inside for stir fry. I can't seem to replicate that. I'm certain I'm missing a step. Is this something I need a deep-fat fryer for?

Also, I found some recipes for baking tofu. I drain it, pat it dry, and let it soak in a liquid marinade overnight. The next day I bake it but it often comes out leathery and not very flavorful. Kind of like an old shoe.

I make a decent Ma Po Tofu (with soft tofu) but the two above have me stumped. Also if you have a good tofu recipe to share I'd love see it. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian so it's okay if meat is in the recipe. For the recipes above I use non-GMO organic extra firm tofu.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tofu recipes

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:46 pm

I think pressing the tofu is essential. Slice a block of firm or extra firm tofu in even-sized pieces. Put them between clean squares of cloth or paper towel, place a weight on top, and leave it half an hour. A cutting board is OK for a weight. This will get the extra water out.

Then either marinate it or dip it in your sauce. Even plain soy sauce works.

Bake it on a cookie sheet at 375 for maybe 25 minutes, turn the pieces over, and give them another 5-10 minutes. You want them browned but not burnt, and the time seems to depend on how much of the water you removed in step 1.

I never deep-fry anything, it makes way too much of a mess and I dislike oily food. So I prefer tofu baked as indicated. It comes out pleasantly chewy and flavored by the marinade, and I eat it in a sandwich or just by the piece. I have a feeling you are looking for a different result than I am. Maybe you should look into frying yours and see if you get what you want.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Great suggestions and the tofu was much better this way. Thanks!!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:13 pm

That's really nice of you to say. I'm glad you enjoyed the super simple baked tofu.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”