Favorite food tricks

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Favorite food tricks

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:06 am

Wasn't sure what to title this thread... will edit if somebody comes up with a better label than "tricks."

My favorite: toasting banana or zucchini bread. It's like magic. The surface gets slightly crispy, and butter melts through to the still-soft interior.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite food tricks

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:08 am

A more practical tip: wrap your celery tightly in aluminum foil and it'll stay crisp for weeks.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 am

Finely grate fresh ginger and pack it into ice cube trays. Cover with a thin layer of oil and freeze — Ready to be dropped into whatever you're cooking.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Peel your fresh ginger, put chunks in a small jar, cover with sake or sherry, refrigerate. When ready to use just hack off a hunk and grate or chop it. If your recipe calls for wine or sherry, use some of the ginger storage liquid. Keeps for a long time using this method.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Ducatista wrote:Wasn't sure what to title this thread... will edit if somebody comes up with a better label than "tricks."

Just don't call it food hacks.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:44 pm

msnflyer wrote:Peel your fresh ginger, put chunks in a small jar, cover with sake or sherry, refrigerate.
How do you keep yourself from late-night nips at the ginger?

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:09 am

fennel wrote:How do you keep yourself from late-night nips at the ginger?

I mix a bit with club soda or seltzer. :)
For beverage variety I use fruit vinegars from Vom Fass in the seltzer. A refreshing change from plain water.

Use the tip of a spoon to peel your ginger, the skin comes off but the pulp doesn't. You can also freeze ginger.

In Hawaii I had dark chocolate covered candied ginger. Yum yum!!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:12 am

I've tried that spoon peeling method in the past. To me, it's like trying to scratch an itch with your knuckles.

I stick with a standard peeler, though I do use the tip and edges for following contours.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Wasn't sure what to title this thread... will edit if somebody comes up with a better label than "tricks."

Just don't call it food hacks.

At first glance, I thought it was titled "favorite food trucks"...PLEASE COME BACK, BURAKA!!!!

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:00 am

1) Own a good pressure cooker.
A. Quickly cooks legumes - just don't use it for peas or lentils unless..
B. If you eat meat - experiment with this device.
C. 13 min at 15 psi will ready pumpkin or squash for your pie.

2) When chopping loads of onions I position a fan to blow across the work surface & perpendicular relative to where I am looking.

3) When pulverizing a purée of red peppers (as in a mole) in your cuisinart - coat the inside and the cutting bits & pieces with a swab of oil. That should help them from taking on stain.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I grow serrano, thai, and cayenne pepper plants during the summer. Our Farmer's Markets are a great resource too. I save the peppers, dry them, and then pulverize in a food processor. I have enough red hot pepper powder for the year for any dish asking for heat plus enough to share a few small jars for Holidays. Using different peppers makes your hot pepper powder more unique. For one of my super hot pals I included a mix with ghost peppers. I am not that brave.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:23 am

I love turkey gravy so much I make two turkeys on Thanksgiving. The one in the oven is the serving bird (classic look, crispy skin), the one in the Nesco is for the extra gravy.

I serve the gravy in an insulated coffee carafe (bought solely for that purpose) so it stays hot through the whole meal.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Keeping harissa on hand, and incorporating some toward the end of a low-heat sauté where a little liquid is added to finish. (Wine, tomatoes, stock, what have you.)

Since Marvel illuminated the merits of sweating onions, I've gone on a bit of a jag in that regard. I'm keeping the heat low and letting the food reflect.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:47 pm

My food is dead so I don't expect it to do tricks.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm not sure you've grasped the concept. Either that or you're mad. Stark raven MAD!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”