Chicken in Sweet Hard Cider Sauce

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
HotPepper

Chicken in Sweet Hard Cider Sauce

Postby HotPepper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 pm

IMHO Perfect For Fall
Makes 4 servings.
8 chicken tenderloins
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
½ cup chopped white onions
1 cup butternut squash cut in inch cubes
1 cup sweet hard cider + 1/2 cup sweet cider

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the hot skillet, and then brown the seasoned chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a small roasting pan.
Add remaining butter to the pan, and allow it to melt. Sauté the chopped onions over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and slightly brown around the edges.
Add the hard cider to the skillet and bring it to a boil for 4 minutes, making sure to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Pour the thickened cider over the browned chicken and roast in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
The chicken is done when the juices run clear and it registers 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Serve the chicken hot with cider sauce poured over it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chicken in Sweet Hard Cider Sauce

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 am

Sounds appealing, but I think thighs might be a better choice. Or duck breast, maybe. Fresh ginger would find it's way in there too, in our kitchen.

anaranjado

Postby anaranjado » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Sounds good, when does the squash get added?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm

fennel wrote:Sounds appealing, but I think thighs might be a better choice. Or duck breast, maybe. Fresh ginger would find it's way in there too, in our kitchen.

Yes. Hell yes. When should I arrive?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:26 pm

I agree thighs would be good. And garlic. It needs garlic.

I don't know when the squash goes in either. But it says to boil the cider for four minutes and then bake for 10 to fifteen, so I think it could go in the same time as the cider.

At last. A good use for Woodchuck.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:45 pm

And I'll have baked squash with ginger and garlic and cider sauce (also browned onions) but hold the chicken. Maybe serve it with cranberries, pecans, and wild rice in which case leave out the ginger until next time.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Yeah, bonelesss chix thighs would be better. Plus fresh diced garlic and ginger are a must. Yes, can't believe I omitted them. Duck or goose breast would be good too. As Snowqueen indicated the animal flesh may not be necessary.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”