Met any good cheeses lately?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Met any good cheeses lately?

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah, Pleasant Ridge Reserve, we've et our fill. Other recommendations for the evening cheese plate? Currently in the fridge:

Babcock Medium Cheddar — our go-to cheddar, no I'm-so-old macho bullshit, just smooth cheddar-y goodness.

Hook's Triple Play — got a sample at the store Sunday, YUM. A blend of cow/sheep/goat with great crystalline crunch.

Roth Grand Cru — big & nutty.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Met any good cheeses lately?

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Carr Valley Billy Blue.

Kickapoo Valley Blue.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 pm

La-Von Farmhouse Goat Brie is excellent, but it's imperative that it be good and ripe.

If you're up for an Italian, Robiola can be extraordinary.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Ooh, thanks, and please keep them coming!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:12 pm

It's been a couple of years (lately?), but we were very happy with the quality (and quite surprised by the price) of 14+ year cheddar at Joe's Cheese House up in Marinette (if you're into that sort of thing). If memory serves, it was priced around $13/lb -- a fraction of Hook's price for 15-year.

If you're headed up to da UP, it's worth a stop. The proprietor mentioned that he did ship cheese, but we never followed up on that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Ducatista wrote:Roth Grand Cru — big & nutty.

Roth Grand Cru Reserve, to be precise.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a piece of Brunkow at at the market, 12 yr at 20 bucks.

I think it is really good.

Fromagination had some really ripe brie, ( French ), that was off the charts.

Lastly, check into Brennan's - they are one top buyers for the? Cheese thing.

Green county gold Swiss, old aged Swiss, one would think there were immigrants there.

Nonsense.

Caveat, I worked there as kid and saw the passion.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 pm

I love the small sample bin of cheeses at the co-op. Today I got a Cotswold Cheddar with chives that is the bomb.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Make your way over to the Westside Community Market & check out the offerings of Dreamfarm. Their "rosebud" w/ or w/o ash is a staple of ours on salads or as a snack. The "rosebloom" is like the last - but developed to be like a brie and is delicious. Diana has experimented with forms of hard cheeses over the years & always has something interesting to offer in this category. Just make sure to get there early as they typically sell most of their stock by 10 am.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:17 am

Ooh, I may make it up there this Saturday. Looks like Willy St carries their stuff if not, at least the Rosebloom if not the Rosebud.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 am

Aside from the Dreamfarm two goat cheeses, which are good and quite mild, there is an aged hard cheesed called Arthur which is a bit like an aged Gouda.

Here's one I long for but haven't yet seen in the states: Banon. Best eaten with a spoon.
The concoction will last for many years becoming increasingly fierce in taste.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Sartori Parmesan is THE best. I L-O-V-E ALL their cheese. Dreamfarm goat cheeses are WONDERFUL and super creamy. So many excellent cheese places in Wisconsin.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm a big fan of the triple cream Havarti from Brennan's. You can almost spread it like cream cheese.

When I was in college there was a medium Brick that I loved from a cheese maker in Sheboygan that was actually medium. Mild Brick is mostly flavorless and aged Brick is just a bit too much for me except on rare occasions. The typical medium Brick that I find is yellow (Widmer's) and mostly tastes like the mild Brick. Where do you get a stinky Brick that isn't too stinky? The Bavarian House on Nesbitt sells a mild Tilsiter that's deliciously stinky without clearing the room. It tastes much like Brick and I'd definitely recommend it. They actually have a lot of nice stuff in that small store and most of it is pretty reasonably priced. They sell their homemade Landjagers and Pfefferjagers for only $2 each (both sides for $2) and smoked salmon for typically $7.99/lb, but it's wild caught and a bit dry, IMO.

The guy at the Fitchburg farmer's market makes awesome cheese curds, never refrigerated so they're still squeaky and salty.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:50 pm

None of this is orange, right? I can't do orange. Done with that.

Unless, of course that's the color of the cheese itself.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”