Favorite Cooking Gadgets And Such

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite Cooking Gadgets And Such

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:00 am

The best kitchen gadget is a good knife.
The trouble is that the best steel is paired with bad handles.
The Wustof/Henkel knives I've acquired have decent steel.
The block of Chicago Cutlery acquired a decade and a half ago have handles & rivets that could survive being run over by a tank, but they have shit steel.
There may be an M&A I can get behind - if'n the best parts come together for our needs...

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:24 am

I bought my set of Wustof Trident knives 25 years ago, and they are still doing great. The surprising this is that the bread knife, which is the one I've used the most, is still amazingly sharp.

I'll add to the list: A pizza stone and a nice wooden pizza peel. Homemade pizza is incredibly easy to make, but it has to be cooked on a stone.

Here at my sister's place in CA, there are loads of saucepans in the cupboards and no easy way to find lids to fit. I love that multi-lid from the first post, off to order one right now.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:20 am

It's sweet corn time of the year. Anyone else like to roast a bunch up and freeze it? If so, do you find yourself making a huge mess when you cut the corn off the cob? Try a bundt pan! It will hold one end of the cob for you AND catch all the corn.

(Not a gadget, just a helpful tip)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am

That's a good technique. Set aside some of that corn for a cold salad with minced scallions, lime, toasted sesame oil, cilantro, shoyu, and a little cayenne. (Candidate Stanley's keeper will have to improvise.)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 am

fennel wrote:That's a good technique. Set aside some of that corn for a cold salad with minced scallions, lime, toasted sesame oil, cilantro, shoyu, and a little cayenne. (Candidate Stanley's keeper will have to improvise.)

Parsley would work just fine in there, I reckon. It pretty much always does.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:00 pm

jman111 wrote:Try a bundt pan!

I don't know why that strikes me as snort-level funny, but it's my new default answer to any predicament. "Try a bundt pan!"

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I tried zen, I tried Jesus. I never thought to try a bundt pan!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:53 pm

I love my new Sunbeam Hotshot. I bought a pyrex cup just for it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:56 pm

I realize I'm an idiot... what does that do?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:06 pm

And does the water come in contact with plastic?

I just did a test on the stovetop. 16 oz of cold tap water takes 2 minutes to come to a boil, so I don't quite see the point of a special device. Except in the office, maybe.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 pm

fennel wrote:And does the water come in contact with plastic?

I just did a test on the stovetop. 16 oz of cold tap water takes 2 minutes to come to a boil, so I don't quite see the point of a special device. Except in the office, maybe.

The water compartment is metal. Part of the tiny dispensing spout is plastic. It boils a cup of water faster than my kettle or microwave. I drink lots of tea and coffee. I let my grounds steep for five minutes, before I pour it through a filter. It's less messy than a french press and gives me a choice of tea or coffee.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:07 pm

This seemed relevant (click to enbiggen...)

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 am

Galoot wrote:I bought my set of Wustof Trident knives 25 years ago, and they are still doing great. The surprising this is that the bread knife, which is the one I've used the most, is still amazingly sharp.

Oh they are incredibly sharp easy to keep sharpened. The trouble I have had, & other members of my family have had, is the handles chipping away (knives puchased in the last 5 - 8yrs). I was working with my favorite 10" slicing knife this last weekend with the thumb of my knife hand locked into a 3/16" chip out of the handle. Mind you I have been pretty solid with my knife slicing skills, but I quickly became aware of the *new* arrangement upon a brief distraction. No flap - just a clean 1/8" missing from my opposite thumb.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am

The Kitchenaid food mixer with the food grinder and strainer attachments proves to be a kitchen tractor this time of year, at least in my home.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:52 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Galoot wrote:I bought my set of Wustof Trident knives 25 years ago, and they are still doing great. The surprising this is that the bread knife, which is the one I've used the most, is still amazingly sharp.

Oh they are incredibly sharp easy to keep sharpened. The trouble I have had, & other members of my family have had, is the handles chipping away (knives puchased in the last 5 - 8yrs).

Have you put them in the dishwasher? I'm guessing not, if you've got good knife skills. We've had our Wusthof chef and parer for nearly 20 years and the santoku for probably a dozen, and my husband does dishwasher them sometimes (argh). The only handle trouble we've had is a couple hairline cracks, and the dishwasher has hazed the black a little. Maybe they downgraded the handle since we bought ours, which would be a shame.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”