Favorite Cooking Gadgets And Such

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite Cooking Gadgets And Such

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am

We've got a drawer full of knives, some quite expensive. We've got a block on the counter with more knives. But I almost always reach for my Old Hickory.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 am

Well, except for softer cheeses.
The Cutco version is pretty pricey (but at least guaranteed for life!), but others of similar design seem to work just as well.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 am

fennel wrote:Sno, that dutch oven is ideal for making no-knead bread. This book lays out the remarkably simple process for beautiful bread.

+1. My girlfriend makes bread this way and it's damn good.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 am

snoqueen wrote:
I mostly get by with an excellent Japanese knife I've had for years (along with a good sharpener).

Ditto. I absolutely love working with knives, plus there's much less to clean up afterwards.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:49 am

I just got some culinary shears a week ago and love them. This number cost all of $7.50 and is extremely sharp. Useful for cutting greens and other vegetables. They come apart for cleaning. I never saw shears in kitchens until recently, wonder if they are a fad. Probably real cooks are so handy with knives that shears are considered lame.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:53 am

Huckleby wrote:Image

I just got some culinary shears a week ago and love them. This number cost all of $7.50 and is extremely sharp. Useful for cutting greens and other vegetables. They come apart for cleaning. I never saw shears in kitchens until recently, wonder if they are a fad. Probably real cooks are so handy with knives that shears are considered lame.

I have a pair of those, use them mostly for cutting herbs from my garden, opening packaged products, cutting cooking twine and cheesecloth. I have a friend that uses them to cut pizza, which I always found strange.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 pm

I think you're either a gadget person or you're a Zen person, indeed. I'm about 80% Zen. My chef's knife, a paring knife, a small cleaver, a strainer and a cutting board are my main tools for most everything. I've tried juicing tools, garlic presses, etc., and always end up thinking "why?" I simply don't see the need to wash, maintain and store another "thing" when my knife and my hands are right there. I received a very expensive and multifunctional mandoline years ago and it's super fun to make crosscut and waffle cut potatoes and other veggies with, but I don't use it often. I do like those rectangular measuring spoons, though. But the only time I would really use them is in baking, which doesn't happen very often these days. I used to use a kitchen shears to cut up chickens, but again, found my chef's knife does the job just as easily and is much easier to wash thoroughly.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Huckleby wrote:I never saw shears in kitchens until recently, wonder if they are a fad.

Fad? No, I remember seeing these in lots of kitchens when I was growing up. They seem to be pretty standard in a lot of countertop knife blocks too. I personally can't understand how anyone gets by without these in their kitchen, as they're useful for so many things.

Violet_Skye wrote:... garlic presses ...

Without a doubt, one of the least useful gadgets I've ever come across. No matter the design, they all seem wasteful, unwieldy, and don't seem to save any time, especially when you factor clean-up into the equation.
If I just need a little garlic minced, I do it with a small knife. If I need a bunch, I use this little guy.
I don't own a real food processor (nor have I ever felt a need for one) and this thing takes up so little counter space and is so very easy to clean that I find it very helpful. Don't use it for much, but great for garlic, onions, nuts, and other small jobs. I just used it the other night to whip up a quick batch of sunflower seed pesto with my girlfriend. It worked great.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Kitchen shears have been around forever. I think they're most commonly used for poultry, but there are countless tasks they're suited to. Trimming mushroom stems, scallions, etc.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Spice grinder! I don't have one, actually, since I just use the coffee grinder — after having thoroughly cleaned it. But that's a bit of a chore, so I have a separate grinder on my wanted list.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Immersion blender.

I purchased a food processor before this was gifted to me and now I wish I hadn't. This one in particular has a couple add on's that I use all the time. It is golden for making cream or blended soups.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm surprised at how infrequently I've used my immersion blender, though as you say, it makes short work of blending soup.

It's said to be an easy way to make mayonnaise, too. Haven't tried it, but maybe one day I'll think it's as absurd to buy mayo as it is to buy salad dressing.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:24 pm

My favorites are all cheapies.

These Kuhn Rikon paring knives are sharp (and sharpenable), light, and the cover makes them easy to transport.

This shaker bottle is the business for homemade ranch dressing. It measures the goopy stuff and blends perfectly. It'd probably be great for other stuff, too, but it's in near-constant service for the dressing so I wouldn't know.

Great little knife sharpener.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Immersion blender! I forgot about that one.

Zen is zen, but I use that immersion blender almost every day. I like to make smoothies.

Get a really powerful one, though.

The cleanup thing is a big deal to me. The fewer gadgets and containers I have to wash, the better. With the immersion blender, I can make a smoothie in the same container I drink it from.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:sunflower seed pesto

How does it compare in flavor to the über expensive pine nuts? You might be a genius.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”