Low Fat Cheese

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Low Fat Cheese

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 pm

I just tried some I bought at Metcalfe's. They put too much salt in it to compensate for the fat. Is there such a thing as good tasting, low fat cheese?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Low Fat Cheese

Postby Roy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I just tried some I bought at Metcalfe's. They put too much salt in it to compensate for the fat. Is there such a thing as good tasting, low fat cheese?

In my personal experience, there is no "good tasting " low fat anything.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:50 pm

I get the Crystal Farms brand of low fat cheese from Metcalfe's, perhaps that is what you tried. I find it excellent. I get bags of shredded cheese because it is just as cheap, and is convenient for salads and cooking. I go with pepper jack, sharp cheddar, swiss.

It's not quite as yummy as the Full Monty, but I am fully satisfied. I buy in large quantities when it is on sale, it's nice that it comes in small, sealed bags that lasts for months. What's not to like?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Sandi wrote:In my personal experience, there is no "good tasting " low fat anything.
Au contraire, low-fat swiss chard is excellent, as are low-fat peaches and carrots. The key factor, of course, is that fat isn't critical to good flavor for most foods.

But low-fat cheese is somewhat analogous to dehyrated juice. (If it ain't liquid, it ain't juice.) Which is pretty much the case for cheeses, as far as fat. It just depends on the type of cheese.

One good rule of thumb: if it's labelled as low-fat, skip it.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:14 am

All fats are not "created" equal.
https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_ar ... 022305.php
Remember that the AHA were big promoters of transfat rich margarine over low tech butter.
Whatever, ya gotta trust them experts - right?
Hint - it is confusing by design.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Try this:

http://lifewaykefir.com/products/cheese-farmer-cheese/

It's basically a low-fat, salt free ricotta. Pretty good as a cream cheese substitute -- pairs well with veggies, olives or jam. It's one of the few things I still buy at the Willy Street Co-op; probably available elsewhere around town but so far I haven't had to look. Keeps three weeks or more in the 'fridge.

If you're looking for something creamier you might try draining plain yoghurt through cheesecloth (or maybe a fine strainer?) to make labne ("yoghurt cheese"). I love the stuff when I eat it out but I admit that I'm too unorganized to make it at home; usually I just spread on plain yoghurt and eat it fast before the crackers get soggy. Plain Greek yoghurt might work as a compromise, but look for one that drains the yoghurt instead of just adding thickeners. Watch out for thickeners in non-fat yogurts as well -- seems to be a way to keep the texture but it doesn't do much for the taste.

Among regular cheeses feta's pretty good for saturated fat, but all the taste is in the salt brine anyway. Parmesan's not too bad if you use it sparingly -- a little bit of a good Parmesan or Romano or Asiago goes a long way. Sadly I have yet to find a good low-fat cheddar. The vegans say nutritional yeast tastes just as good, but maybe that only works if you are vegan :(

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:If you're looking for something creamier you might try draining plain yoghurt through cheesecloth (or maybe a fine strainer?) to make labne ("yoghurt cheese").

That method has worked very well in my hands with non-fat or 1% milk fat yogurt. Infused with herbs/spice/garlic/chives - as a spread. It has been awhile, thanks for the reminder.

timby

Postby timby » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:39 am

Neufchâtel is basically a lower-fat cream cheese and I honestly can't tell the difference in the taste.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Low-fat cheese is not cheese.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:45 pm

Just as lite beer is not beer.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Fat adds a pleasing flavor to things for many, maybe most people.

For those that do not like the favor of fat, it adds nothing to any product.

So when I say I don't like low fat cheese, don't tell me the fat doesn't matter.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”