Name Your Coffee

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Name Your Coffee

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I brew it ground. Boiling water over sitting grounds for 5 minutes, then poured through a filter. It's rich and smooth, with a sweet finish. Starbuck's Verona. Yeah, I know, corporate. If you buy something you think is as good or better, I'd like to know.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Name Your Coffee

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Coincidentally, I'm on a quest to find a new coffee.

I used to love 8-O'Clock Colombian, 10 or 15 years ago when I made coffee all the time, that was my crack. So smooth, just a wonderful flavor.

The past year I started making coffee at home again. The 8-O'Clock Colombian is OK. I went on the internet, and everybody says it went in the shitter a couple years ago. It tastes like their standard coffee bean. The thrill is gone.

I am obviously no coffee connoisseur, but I'm going to experiment with all the available Colombian options to see if I can capture that old magic. I've read Trader Joe's has an excellent coffee. Kirkland (cosco) is supposed to be good, although it is ground, not whole bean. This journey of discovery will take a year.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 pm

I guess it depends on what you look for in a coffee. I like richness, full body (not weak dish water or bitterness-no bite wanted) smooth and that hint of a sweet finish I get from Verona. (No they're not paying me) I've enjoyed The Reanimator at Willy Coop, Rocket something at Cargo, Border's Seattle Pike Place was nice, but I always ordered that as a redeye.) I don't mind French, but Italian does have that bit of a nice mellow sweetness. I tried Columbian but found it too weak. Just like beer, I prefer dark to light, but that's another topic.
Last edited by Bwis53 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 pm

The title of this thread reminds me of that joke about the grasshopper...

A grasshopper walks in to a bar. The bartender looks at him and says "Hey, we've got a drink named after you!" And the grasshopper looks confused, and says "Why would anybody name a drink 'Bob'?"

OK, it's an old joke. Sorry. I think I first heard it from Garrison Keillor.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Blue Mountain is my favorite. I bring 3 or 4 lbs. home from Jamaica every year and drink it on weekends.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 pm

gargantua wrote:Blue Mountain is my favorite. I bring 3 or 4 lbs. home from Jamaica every year and drink it on weekends.
Couldn't you send for it?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 pm

http://www.smithfarms.com/

I've been hooked for the last eight or nine years. Can't afford it every day. Blue Heeler at Jenny St Market comes kinda sorta almost close but not close enough.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 am

Fine, I'll name your coffees then.

Bwis53 wrote:The Reanimator at Willy Coop

Just Coffee.

rabble wrote:Blue Heeler at Jenny St Market

Colectivo. I mean, they're not grocery store brands.

I like Colectivo's Maximilian, Just Coffee's Wake the Dead (among many), and I do usually have a pound of Starbucks Christmas Blend once a year -- though it's been off as many times as on over the last three or four years.

Ruby Roasters is one I need to try some beans from, and there's a roaster that's been selling in Madison lately, that has a pastel, Mondrian-esque kind of artwork on the bag but whose name I can't remember, that I want to check out as well.

I've decommissioned my drip maker, in favor (during the week) of a Keurig machine (don't judge me). But when I brew brew, it's most often siphon, and occasionally French press.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

So, I was in Guatemala a couple weeks ago, heading to Tikal. We pulled over at a gift shop / restaurant in El Remate to stretch our legs and use the bathroom. Over in a corner of the gift shop was one of those standard issue food service coffee urns, and a stack of Styrofoam cups. Our tour guide gestured towards it, and said, "Have some of the local coffee; it's on the house."

It was maybe the best cup of coffee I've ever had in my life, Styrofoam cup and all. Damn that was good.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 am

Just Coffee, Cafe Fair Trade, Espresso Royal's coffee, and sometimes Steep and Brew. No particular type, but I do prefer lighter roasts. My drip coffee maker kicked it a few months ago. I started using my French press more frequently and I'm no to the point I'll never go back. Makes enough for one cup in the morning and a thermos full.

A couple of my friends have their own roasters and swear by them. They buy bulk beans on the interwebs for pretty cheap and they last for a long time because they're raw. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:24 am

TheBookPolice wrote:

Fine. There's like a half dozen brands there, one of them has a blend named Blue Heeler and I found it at Jenifer St Market. If you think I should memorize the full names of everything I buy, or if I shouldn't post it unless I do, fuck you. I know where I found it and if you want to find it yourself, go there.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am

Bwis53 wrote:
gargantua wrote:Blue Mountain is my favorite. I bring 3 or 4 lbs. home from Jamaica every year and drink it on weekends.
Couldn't you send for it?

Ordering online, a pound would set me back $45 before shipping. I might just try it once anyway as this year's supply starts to dwindle.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 am

rabble wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

If you think I should memorize the full names of everything I buy, or if I shouldn't post it unless I do, fuck you.

Whoa, Nellie. Just having some fun on a Friday morning.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm

I got another data point in my journey of discovery. I bought a can of Maxwell House coffee, mainly because it was the cheapest brand and I needed the can for when I clean my coffee maker.
The coffee I made with it was disgusting, undrinkable. Way worse than any restaurant coffee.

Most of the suggestions here are for expensive coffees. I will go that way if I have to. This roaster at Amazon will be my next experiment:

ps. I didn't put that picture in. Apparently this forum software inserts ads based on links. Clever, Big Brother is wising up.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:Most of the suggestions here are for expensive coffees.

The coffee you're linking to is about a dollar more than I spend on some of mine. Just sayin'.

If you buy a pound at Espresso Royal, you get a card for any free drink. Thank can be up to a $3 or $4 dollar value(or savings depending on how you look at it.)

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”