Name Your Coffee

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
AndyMatts

Re: Name Your Coffee

Postby AndyMatts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:18 pm

roast your own. Can't be beat.

Burman coffee roasters operates out of a spare warehouse in Middleton. They go out of their way to deal directly with farmers or cooperatives, and get awesome green beans from all over.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 pm

AndyMatts wrote:roast your own. Can't be beat.

Burman coffee roasters operates out of a spare warehouse in Middleton. They go out of their way to deal directly with farmers or cooperatives, and get awesome green beans from all over.

Hmmm, back in the late 80s & early 90s coffee bean grinders really started catching on. The whir of those things are ubiquitous - including my home. The advantage of selecting your beans from a local roaster had many advantages over the cans of Maxwell House / Folgers many of us knew as coffee. I just cannot get my head around another device that whirs and essentially operates like a hot air popcorn maker to produce a small amount of roasted beans. Perhaps I should try - but the small home scale process seems too gadgety to me.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:29 pm

I buy ground. I have ground beans in the store. I don't notice any difference. I just let grounds sit in boiled water, for five minutes, then paper filter. That way I get the best flavor I ever had. A french press is nice, but it's a pain to clean and doesn't trap oils harmful to fat levels.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 am

Bwis53 wrote:I buy ground. I have ground beans in the store. I don't notice any difference. I just let grounds sit in boiled water, for five minutes, then paper filter. That way I get the best flavor I ever had. A french press is nice, but it's a pain to clean and doesn't trap oils harmful to fat levels.

I totally remembered this suggested process last weekend. I stirred a few heaping tablespoons of finely ground coffee into 1c near boiling water - let it sit apx 5 min then strained it through a paper filter. Into the resulting liquor I dissolved a teaspoon of sucrose - then I decanted it equally between two 12 oz glasses. Each glass I then filled to 1/2 capacity with milk - then added ice to nearly the brim & gave the concoction a stir. This resulted in a very nice iced coffee.
Thnx,
MH

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:20 am

If you really want a good iced coffee, I suggest starting with cold-brew. I find iced coffees prepped with hot brew result in a watered-down drink. Starting with cold brew concentrate allows that coffee flavor to shine through.

We've got the Toddy cold brewer, but would be just as easy to brew in a jar or bowl and then strain through a large filter (or maybe cheesecloth?). Basically the process described above, but brewed for 12-18 hours, instead of a few minutes (and obviously cold water, instead of near-boiling). The cold brew keeps for many days (directions say up to 2 weeks), when refrigerated.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

Sometimes I add a teaspoon of Nestles Quick. I don't need the foam, just top off with milk.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Sometimes I add a teaspoon of Nestles Quick. I don't need the foam, just top off with milk.

Guilty pleasures - I am on your wisely metered side!

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am

Mad Howler wrote:
AndyMatts wrote:roast your own. Can't be beat.

Hmmm, back in the late 80s & early 90s coffee bean grinders really started catching on. The whir of those things are ubiquitous - including my home. The advantage of selecting your beans from a local roaster had many advantages over the cans of Maxwell House / Folgers many of us knew as coffee. I just cannot get my head around another device that whirs and essentially operates like a hot air popcorn maker to produce a small amount of roasted beans. Perhaps I should try - but the small home scale process seems too gadgety to me.

Why "get your head around" it, at all? Hot air popcorn maker is what I use to roast the beans. You just can't use it for popcorn any more. I highly recommend Burman for their unroasted/green bean selection and deals. If you want to get your actual roasting equipment there, that's secondary, IMO.

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 am

jman111 wrote:If you really want a good iced coffee, I suggest starting with cold-brew. I find iced coffees prepped with hot brew result in a watered-down drink. Starting with cold brew concentrate allows that coffee flavor to shine through.

We've got the Toddy cold brewer, but would be just as easy to brew in a jar or bowl and then strain through a large filter (or maybe cheesecloth?). Basically the process described above, but brewed for 12-18 hours, instead of a few minutes (and obviously cold water, instead of near-boiling). The cold brew keeps for many days (directions say up to 2 weeks), when refrigerated.

Hot brew works fine too. If you want to avoid watered-down iced coffee, just make sure your ice cubes are frozen coffee.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm

AndyMatts wrote:Why "get your head around" it, at all? Hot air popcorn maker is what I use to roast the beans. You just can't use it for popcorn any more. I highly recommend Burman for their unroasted/green bean selection and deals. If you want to get your actual roasting equipment there, that's secondary, IMO.

Damn it! You are talking me into this thing I have tried to avoid and know I will probably enjoy!!!
"...there is never fucking time enough, there's so much more I want to know..."
Someone please correct me and properly attribute the above - presented in quotes.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:22 am

I've settled in to a pretty regular Just Coffee Bike Fuel habit. I sometimes meet my carpool at JPH and I always LOVE whatever pourover I get there, but I only buy beans at JPH if I'm taking them up to my sister's cabin as a gift. WAY too expensive for every day, and I don't mind spending on things like good coffee.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 am

Yeah, I'm sure I've spent a lot of money on coffee, over the years. But it was worth it. No regrets at all. Happy memories!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”