Will we have enough? - May be the wrong frame

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Will we have enough? - May be the wrong frame

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 am

I did not set out to go to 'war' around food issues, but I can make an allowance of resources. Back before the general-ish recognition that we and, more relevantly, our governance have been deeply co-opted by extractive interests - I wondered why 'local' farmers showed up to protest & practice the demos rights against Michael Pollan.
Well, this piece frames my quandary & the consequences:
http://www.independentsciencenews.org/e ... ll-be-won/
What to do?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Will we have enough? - May be the wrong frame

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

What is this claptrap?
Shelly Mayer, with the Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin, disagreed, saying her industry is very transparent and constantly trying to improve. She said most dairy farmers would prefer someone report mistreatment of cows or cattle when they see it rather than record it and broadcast it at a later date.

“It's very difficult to think about someone standing behind a camera, knowing that something is not right, that they could have the ability to stand there and watch something that they think is wrong. If it's wrong, then be brave and stop it,” Mayer said. “If you think it’s wrong, at least question it. Don't stand there and videotape it.”

http://www.channel3000.com/news/state-r ... g/30978430

I know wisctv is a corporate cog, but COME ON! The handwriting is all over the walls!
"Many of the laws, passed at the behest of agribusiness groups, are based on model legislation drafted by the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), and they target what the group calls “animal and ecological terrorists.” But most if not all of the bills are broad enough that investigative reporters could also find themselves bound and “gagged".
- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/united_states_projec ... VS80t.dpuf

But they ain't gonna talk about that, no sir! Might risk upsetting the Ministry of Propaganda.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 pm

I do not understand this---->
http://boingboing.net/2014/02/20/sows-a ... ed-bl.html

One would think that there are better ways of dealing with porcine epidemic diarrhea virus other than applying tactics akin to those of 'Theodoric of York'

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am

I'm not too shocked by the practice -- I mean, it's not too far afield from the human vaccination process, the science of it anyway. What really bothers me is that someone decided that it was cool to name an animal farm after a medieval torture device.

Even if the name was chosen before we as a nation came to understand and oppose gestational crating, who said, "I know, a spiked immobility torture cabinet!"

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Even if the name was chosen before we as a nation came to understand and oppose gestational crating, who said, "I know, a spiked immobility torture cabinet!"

I missed that! Nice spot, thanks.

You are right - as details of the method are scant in the link. What I have learned is that a pork producer needs to infect all sows with porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) at first sign of an infected animal to induce herd immunuty (surviving animals tend to be mature). So I am assuming juveniles that succumb are being fed back in some form for this purpose. My problem is that this seems to be a cheaper & riskier way of obtaining this inoculant - rather than generating PEDV virion using defined porcine cell lines. I think there are ways of minimizing the risk of consequences we have learned to be possible.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:41 am

This seems to belong here:
http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchd ... tml?ipad=y
Awesome work,
The only complaint I have is the absence of directing agency with regard to this harm.
With this thought I regard & disregard the JS.
What is this?
1910 - or somewhere there about?
It seems we were taught let it be so.
PR & propaganda work in mysterious ways, no?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Just in case you missed it.
That big budget stewarded through congress, you know our budget 'approving' body, included some shit you might not like. Take a look. We're not coming out on the winning end of things - even if we paid a bazillion dollars to land a 10 ton pencil.
Whoo hoo!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:59 am

I enjoy the logic with which this was presented. "There are a lot of things in there that I don't like. However there are a lot of things in there that our opponents don't like. Therefore, we did a good job. Yay!?!".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:26 am

Mad Howler wrote:...you know our budget 'approving' body, included some shit you might not like. Take a look.

What don't you like, you know?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:...you know our budget 'approving' body, included some shit you might not like. Take a look.

What don't you like, you know?

Some unpopular things like CISA (a bunch of techy things that techy people don't like & eventually when you figure out WTF - you won't either). The other I heard was a sliver of country of origin labeling. As I understand - it appears that (as of last Friday) is is illegal to stamp beef & pork products with country of origin labeling except at the point of sale. I look at product labels - they have been vague the last couple of years, so I suspect that this has been in the planning. That is why I expect Oscar Mayer production to hit the cheapest shores of production. Sure 300ish executiv'sh jobs will hit shy town, but when the hands that ...
You happily still got product!
Brilliant!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Now that the world has enough oil to last us until we die, I don't mind the provision that allows US exports. It'll help keep domestic producers in business. You know the well-educated, sophisticated, American people will understand when prices go back up some day.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:37 pm

gargantua wrote:American people will understand when prices go back up some day.

I never noticed that prices went down ;(
Excepting the oily thing you speak of (that is another geopolitical matter).
Although, I have noticed "American people" are slowly taking note of other costs.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”