Microwave popcorn harmful

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Microwave popcorn harmful

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Dairylander wrote:Personally, I consider alcohol to be poison and haven't had a drink in five years, but there is a broad selection of organic beer and wine available.
Organic, by definition, is GMO-free.

Good for you and your total sobriety. Not quite as taken with the holier than thou attitude. In the real world, most of us enjoy a little"poison" from time to time, you sanctimonious prig.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 pm

There is a difference between substances that have been found not dangerous to human health, and substances that have not been evaluated for their effect on human health because nobody has been willing to fund the research.

All of which doesn't mean I won't drink weird kinds of beer.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:40 pm

gargantua wrote:Not quite as taken with the holier than thou attitude... you sanctimonious prig.

Stebben directed a comment to me, I responded honestly.
Your vitriol is unwarranted.
How about you and I avoid one another from now on.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:29 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The NIH helps maintain that database, but it has nothing to do with endorsement of results.

Actually it does. To be listed on PubMed means that a study has met the research protocol requirements outlined by the NIH.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:51 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I didn't look at the flavoring links,

If you had, you would see they are from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and The Academic Health Center at the University of Minnesota.
Both are more than "reputable enough."
Diacetyl, an ubiquitous butter-flavoring agent, was found to influence several aspects of amyloid-β aggregation--one of the two primary pathologies associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Dairylander wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The NIH helps maintain that database, but it has nothing to do with endorsement of results.

Actually it does. To be listed on PubMed means that a study has met the research protocol requirements outlined by the NIH.
I don't believe this is correct. Pretty sure PubMed just evaluates journals and once they've passed muster, then all their articles may be linked in the database. I'm willing to be corrected if someone else has better info. That said, your claim barely even makes sense in this context given that the "study" you linked to wasn't a study at all, it was just a statistical re-evaluation of an already existing study. Either way, it's since been discredited and its author has a very clear anti-GMO agenda (as explained in my links), so I'm not sure why you'd want to cling to it as evidence of anything.

Dairylander wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I didn't look at the flavoring links,

If you had, you would see they are from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and The Academic Health Center at the University of Minnesota.
Both are more than "reputable enough."

I just clicked on them now. I don't see either of those insitutions anywhere. I don't really doubt that they may have originated there, but I'm not checking the authors to find out. Just curious where on the links you provided you found that info. (I haven't had any coffee yet, so I'm perfectly willing to believe I'm just stupid and/or blind.) Regardless, as was already pointed out, the issue with the flavorings is in relation to food industry workers, not consumers. This is clear in both of the links you provided.
In light of the chronic exposure of industry workers to DA, this study raises the troubling possibility of long-term neurological toxicity mediated by DA.

Flavorings-related lung disease is a potentially disabling disease of food industry workers associated with exposure to the α-diketone butter flavoring, diacetyl (2,3-butanedione)

Nobody is going to argue that most microwave popcorn is anything but junk food, but that's no reason for undue alarmism.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Dairylander wrote:

Which only means that the NIH agrees with you.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Dairylander wrote:

I don't believe this is correct. Pretty sure PubMed just evaluates journals and once they've passed muster, then all their articles may be linked in the database. I'm willing to be corrected if someone else has better info.

The good Prof. is correct. The NIH (through the NLM) only considers journals, not individual articles. If they are satisfied with a journal's peer-review process (something they re-evaluate periodically), then they allow the journal to handle that end. If they aren't satisfied, then they don't index the journal.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Dairylander wrote:
gargantua wrote:Not quite as taken with the holier than thou attitude... you sanctimonious prig.

Stebben directed a comment to me, I responded honestly.
Your vitriol is unwarranted.
How about you and I avoid one another from now on.

You got it.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I don't see either of those insitutions anywhere.

To the left of "Author Information" is a little plus sign. Click it to expand.
And yes, NIH approves of the journal and the journal publishes the article.
So in this case the NIH approves of a journal that published a study by the University of Minnesota that found that microwave popcorn butter flavor increases levels of a substance that is associated with Alzheimer's.
And your reaction is "it's just junk food, no need for alarm"?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the discussion and links. I know foodbabe isn't hard science but I usually like her advice and you can't always trust mainstream authorities which may be funded by special interests. I avoid alcohol, too, but am not sanctimonious just trying to live healthy.

Dairylander wrote:Buy a bag of non-gmo popping corn and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Po ... orn+popper
It's way more fun, too.

Good advice thanks.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:07 am

Dairylander wrote:And your reaction is "it's just junk food, no need for alarm"?
No, my reaction was
...the issue with the flavorings is in relation to food industry workers, not consumers. This is clear in both of the links you provided.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 am

I wasn't projecting, this is your own conclusion...
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Nobody is going to argue that most microwave popcorn is anything but junk food, but that's no reason for undue alarmism.

And if you can't understand that industry workers are the canaries in the coal mine, then I give up.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am

Dairylander wrote:And if you can't understand that industry workers are the canaries in the coal mine, then I give up.
If you don't understand that the dose makes the poison, then I give up too.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: the dose makes the poison, then I give up too.

Such a common misconception.
People think that these horrible diseases are just bad luck, that you get cancer or alzheimer's from some unknown lottery's chance.
Really it's the opposite, it's the aggregation of continually poisoning the body one tiny miniscule dose at a time, repeatedly every day, week after week, year after year, until the body is severely damaged.
So yeah, have a bag of microwave popcorn once a year and nothing will happen. But a bag each week, in combination with the aspartame in your diet coke, the dioxins in animal fats, and the manganese in your drinking water, and the sodium laurel sulphate in your toothpaste, and the parabens in your moisturizer, and the petrochemicals in your household cleaners, and the perfluorooctanoic acid in your teflon pan, and the pesticides on your vegetables, and the phthalates in your plastics, and the benzene in your scented candle, and the brominated fire retardant in your mattress and sofa, and the aluminum in your anti-perspirant, and the mercury in your fillings, and the PCBs in your salmon, and the VOCs in your carpet, and the asbestos in your insulation...
It's the accumulation of these "micro-doses" that over time give you serious disease.
So to look at any of these environmental toxins and say, "No big deal, it's too small to hurt me," is ignorant and foolish.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”