Microwave popcorn harmful

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Microwave popcorn harmful

Postby Dairylander » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 am

At the end of the day, the simple facts remain:
The multi-dose flu shot contains thimerosal, a mercury based preservative.
Mercury is a proven and potent neuro-toxin.

The only advice I've given is that if anyone chooses to get the flu shot, that they seek out a single-dose injection or the nasal spray, both of which are reportedly mercury-free.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:33 am

The funding of studies is not a neutral influence on what is studied, nor on the study protocol, nor on its findings.

Don't you remember the Prozac thing? In the late 80s and early 90s, Prozac was the new hot thing for a whole list of psychological ills. Later, it was found the drug companies only published favorable studies and buried the unfavorable ones and the ones that showed their pills were as effective as the placebo controls but no more.

Side effects were disregarded, minimized, or they only appeared in certain subgroups of patients who were not part of the original study so the data emerged only slowly. Since one of these subgroups was young people (who were found to sometimes show a higher incidence of suicidal ideation or even suicide attempts) this was no minor problem.

Prozac still in use (along with other SSRIs) but the idea human psychology can be managed with pharmaceuticals has not survived intact. For one thing, returning military with PTSD are showing us a more complex, multifaceted treatment protocol is preferable.

Does all this inspire us to ignore anecdotal evidence and reasonable supposition until it's finally confirmed and replicated in formal studies, no matter how long that takes?

I hope not.

Our lives are not cases before a court, where only the highest level of proof will suffice and a binary, go/no go decision is required. Lives are full of gray areas, different preferences, unique fears, weaknesses, and desires, individual history and biology, and many more variables. To run everything on the basis of published medical studies and ignore all the rest is only for a few ultra-rationalists. It's not automatically wrong not to be one, even if it's not a winner in the court-case environment of an internet discussion.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I admit that am 'bookending' this thread, but we started at microwave popcorn & got to FDA approved vaccine compounding.
This started at microwave popcorn - did anyone get after the many decades we believed transhydrogenated veg oils were considered OK?
When a population is taught to doubt over rational concern,
The population losses ability to effectively practice doubt.
But - we make awesome & loosely concerned consumers.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:11 am

This thread is a bit of a mess.

If you don't want to eat microwave popcorn, that's fine. You'll be better off and no one else is harmed.

If you don't get yourself or your kids vaccinated, you're putting people at risk.

This risk is not abstract or imaginary. There is clear evidence that rates of vaccine-preventable diseases are higher in US communities with large numbers of unvaccinated children:

In the Pediatrics study, Atwell and her fellow researchers identified 39 geographic "clusters" across California—ranging in size from a few blocks to entire counties—where belief-driven opt-out rates are higher than the norm. The team found higher rates of whooping cough associated with these clusters. For example: Marin County, which had a personal-belief exemption rate of 7.8 percent in 2012—nearly four times the national average—has the second-highest rate of whooping cough in the whole state. These results support the findings of a 2006 study led by Emory's Omer, which found higher rates of pertussis in states that allowed personal-belief exemptions and had easy policies for doing so.

California is not the only state with high-exemption hotspots. On Vashon Island, Washington, 17 percent of kindergartners failed to receive their shots in 2013 due to a "personal/philosophical" exemption. That's nine times the current national average. The year before, Vashon Islanders accounted for 16 percent of all whooping cough cases in Washington's King County, despite housing just one percent of its population. And a 2008 study of exemption rates in Michigan found 23 clusters within the state, and, you guessed it, a correlation with higher rates of whooping cough. Even individual schools and churches can serve as ground zero: After a measles outbreak broke out in north Texas in 2012, the state epidemiologist linked it to a local megachurch whose pastor had spread anti-vaccine myths in the past.

Or here:

How one unvaccinated child sparked Minnesota measles outbreak

A measles outbreak in Minnesota offers a case study of how the disease is transmitted in the United States today: An unvaccinated person travels abroad, brings measles back and infects vulnerable people -- including children who are unprotected because their parents chose not to vaccinate them.

That's the conclusion of a report published online June 9 in Pediatrics that details the 2011 outbreak that sickened 19 children and two adults in the state.

It began when an unvaccinated 2-year-old was taken to Kenya, where he contracted the measles virus. After returning to the United States, the child developed a fever, cough and vomiting. However, before measles was diagnosed, he passed the virus on to three children in a drop-in child care center and another household member. Contacts then multiplied, with more than 3,000 people eventually exposed.

Nine of the children ultimately infected were old enough to have received the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine but had not.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:15 am

Brilliant.
snoqueen wrote:Colony collapse disorder among honey bees is now thought to be the result of not one major toxin or pest, but rather the accumulated stress of living with many of these little threats simultaneously. It's not unimaginable that humans could suffer something similar in the form of a gradual degradation of health due to not one big cause but many tiny ones, mostly insignificant on their own.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:58 pm

So what I'm getting from all this is that I shouldn't have microwave popcorn injected into me.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 pm

NullDevice wrote:So what I'm getting from all this is that I shouldn't have microwave popcorn injected into me.

I certainly wouldn't. There is no upside that I can see.
Can you imagine someone mugging Beaver? Holding a bag of microwave popcorn upside his head? Hand it over or I'll pop!

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 pm

NullDevice wrote:So what I'm getting from all this is that I shouldn't have microwave popcorn injected into me.

Uh-oh.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 am

Is Microwave Popcorn Bad For Your Health?
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP05861/Is ... ealth.html

"Popcorn can be a healthful snack, as it is a good source of fiber and relatively low in calories. However, if you want to partake of this movie-watching favorite, steer clear of microwave popcorn. Not only are most microwavable varieties loaded with artificial flavors, sodium and unhealthy fat, but they can expose you to chemicals that are added to the artificial butter flavoring and used in the lining of microwavable popcorn bags.

Instead of risking the potential hazards of microwave popcorn, go a more natural route - air-pop kernels and then flavor them with a little tamari, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder, dried dill or a little grated Parmesan cheese (or create your own mixture of flavors). You can mist the popcorn lightly with a little purified water or toss in a bit of olive oil before adding dry flavorings to help them stick. Alternatively, you can pop 1/4 cup of kernels in three tablespoons of olive oil in a three-quart saucepan on medium-high heat."

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Wouldn't the lining of a popcorn bag be an issue if you eat the bag instead of the popcorn?
Last edited by AndyMatts on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:15 pm

AndyMatts wrote:Wouldn't the lining of a popcorn bag be an issue if you eat the bag instead of the popcorn?

They call it "roughage" my friend.

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Dairylander wrote:At the end of the day, the simple facts remain:
The multi-dose flu shot contains thimerosal, a mercury based preservative.
Mercury is a proven and potent neuro-toxin.

The only advice I've given is that if anyone chooses to get the flu shot, that they seek out a single-dose injection or the nasal spray, both of which are reportedly mercury-free.

It's a proven neuro-toxin because methyl mecury binds with organic molecules and accumulates.

Ethyl mecury does not. Guess which one is present in thiomersal?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:10 pm

it smells like arse when being cooked too; actually, it is more like cooking krokodil . . . i was just waiting for the f d a to come down on the microwave popcorn trust but it never happened because those bastards were too busy taking cough medicine away from little kids and elderly folks in rocking chairs . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:17 pm

garlic powder is a chemical weapon

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”