Do You Eat Organic?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do You Eat Organic?

Postby Shorty » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

Obama is making it hard for us to eat organic.

President Obama Signs the Disastrous Federal GMO-Labeling Bill, Putting the Future of Organic in Danger
http://livingmaxwell.com/obama-signs-gm ... al-organic

"On late Friday afternoon, President Obama signed the sham Stabenow-Roberts GMO-Labeling bill (S. 764) which will allow, among many other things, companies to use QR codes instead of clear GMO labels on a food product’s packaging. This bill is so discriminatory and so poorly written that it potentially violates several amendments of the Constitution. Additionally, it puts the integrity of the organic seal in real jeopardy. What is arguably the most troubling aspect of this bill is that while almost every single organic consumer organization fought this bill, the organic industry’s leading trade organization praised the bill and lobbied for it to pass."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:48 pm

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/#
This organization, which I've known for over 10 years, has been good at keeping track on big food trying to fool us.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:13 pm

If I am going to use the zest from any citrus fruit I buy organic. I wash my fruits and vegetables but sometimes the only way to eat clean is organic. It's expensive and I am not rich so I pick and choose. Nice that Aldi's in Madison has been bringing in more organics. Better prices. Love the Farmer's Markets here but they can be expensive. Shop wisely.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:21 pm

in addition to political reasons the produce is just much better in some cases . . . fruit in particular -- it tastes better and is in better shape. the starkest difference seems to be raspberries. they are good enough, as are organic strawberries and concord grapes to be found -- that i make a good quantity of preserves of these from time to time. i recently found peaches and apricots as well. there is a significant sweetness difference in the organic plums which i am turning into šljivovica right now so they should work quite well. i have also seen a huge difference with citrus fruit as well . . .

hopefully somebody will make some good pickled green tomatoes in that for some reason i can only grow so many myself to pickle . . . the organic cucumbers of various sizes are about as good as those from the garden for pickling. i have yet to see organic cauliflower, celery &c but i am sure it is out there . . .

a large commercial grower using pesticides on crops cannot assure that other people will mishandle the fruit on the way to market. at our house we are lucky just to have had bruised fruit and fruit which turns rotten within 72 hours . . . the food poisioning with fruit and vegetable vectors, clouds of mediterranean fruit flies within hours, all that jazz and more i have hear stories concerning . . . improper temperature control and other mishandling does that -- we all better hope they don't do meat and eggs that way . . .

my searches for organic fruit and other items usually turn up less common items like persimmons, pink lemons, hard-to-find types of apples, uncommon and unusual pickled items, and even sometimes the chicago sun-times in and around madison.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”