Pepper Mill of the stars

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pepper Mill of the stars

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Ttusker wrote:
peppermill.jpg
Not really a story, but a strong recommendation: I inherited my Zassenhaus pepper mill from my late mom. It's the smaller version, about five inches tall, with the grinding crank handle on top.
I bought the 7-inch model via Penzey's some years back. (It's labelled as being made in "W. Germany," though I got it well after 1990. I think they were just using an old die.) In fact, it's sitting in front of me on the table, just as displayed in your image.

It does work well, though the adjustment is prone to loosening. It's become a habit to give it a light tightening before each use. It's also 95% plastic-free, which is nice.

For many years – among the cognoscenti – the brand of mill didn't matter so much as the manufacturer of the grinding mechanism. Peugeot was considered the ne plus ultra, and that fact was usually noted as a feature.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I make very simple meals, sort of a caveman cuisine. One staple is an olive oil & vinegar dressing with Italian spices. For a caveman, "Italian spices" means an economy-sized cannister of industrial grade seasoning.

Sniffle all you want. It's got oregano, thyme, basil and rosemary. Also rumors of majoram & sage.

I read somewhere that spices are much more potent if you grind them up, and a pepper mill will do that job. I'm looking forward to greater intensity and sophistication in my dining ritual.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Huckleby wrote:I read somewhere that spices are much more potent if you grind them up, and a pepper mill will do that job. I'm looking forward to greater intensity and sophistication in my dining ritual.

True - but if you are using dried herbs & spices, just a quick rub in the palm of your hand will also do wonders to release the goodness inside (combination of the oils on your skin and the grinding action).

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 pm

that's dirty

maybe I should try it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:For a caveman, "Italian spices" means an economy-sized cannister of industrial grade seasoning.

Sniffle all you want. It's got oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary and sage. Also rumors of majoram & sage.

I read somewhere that spices are much more potent if you grind them up, and a pepper mill will do that job. I'm looking forward to greater intensity and sophistication in my dining ritual.

Well, what you're talking about are herbs, not spices. (*sniff*) And while a pepper grinder may work for some spices, you'll be much more satisfied with a bladed grinder like a Braun coffee mill. (Works pretty well for spices, too. It's how I grind my fennel seeds, don't you know.)

And if you want cheap, flavorful spices or herbs, buy them in bulk at the Willy Co-op. Make it a point to date them and toss 'em after 9 months unless tightly sealed and refrigerated. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

And as good as you'll get unless you grow your own.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm

ya know, fresh herbs and spices really are amazing.
I had some fresh cilantro in my salad last time and it was fantastic.

My next phase of self-improvement will be to follow your advice.

I have a little Krupps coffee grinder, and have heard other people say they use it to grind spices .... errr, herbs. That seemed kinda odd to me, but I will give it a try. This might require a second grinder to keep the flavors separate.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Huckleby wrote:
I have a little Krupps coffee grinder, and have heard other people say they use it to grind spices .... errr, herbs. That seemed kinda odd to me, but I will give it a try. This might require a second grinder to keep the flavors separate.

Perfect! No need for more than one though - just run some raw rice through it when done, it will come out clean with no trace of the previous occupant.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 pm

great tip, this thread is going to make a gentleman out of me.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Huckleby wrote:great tip, this thread is going to make a gentleman out of me.

lets not get carried away here chief..

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 am

bcs89 wrote: (combination of the oils on your skin and the grinding action)

I don't think an advocate for cannibalism should be commenting on the prospects of others to become more civilized.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 am

Touché

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Jesus, Mary, & Joseph!

Did you folks know that if you see things on the internet that you want to be yours you can give the internet money and the internet will send you the things you want?!

Fascinating.

So I used it for some broccoli cheese soup earlier for lunch.

And I'll be damned, I wanted freshly ground pepper and it didn't disappoint.

Wonder just how far I can take this whole give-internet-money-get-things-from-it scheme...

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I got my blue baby too. It works great. It is aggressively uncool, however, as anticipated. Not just the color, you got the plastic case, and having to turn a knob like a can opener. A far cry from confidently wielding one of those phallic marvels.

BTW, my first taste of fresh ground pepper was thrilling. I like hot and intense flavor; the stuff out of the can that I got used to is a joke.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”