gyro meat?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
tjs006

gyro meat?

Postby tjs006 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:51 am

Hey,
Anybody know where you can buy gyro meat in Madison? I can't seem to find a greek market.
Thanks in advance.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: gyro meat?

Postby NullDevice » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:17 am

It's not hard to make. You just need some lamb meat, a spit (or a meatloaf pan), a couple of spices (marjoram, garlic, salt, pepper, and one or two others - I think Penzey's "greek seasoning" is even a pretty close mix), and a food processor.

The only premade-stuff I've seen in town is the pre-sliced stuff, and it's kind of horrible.

Alton Brown's recipe is quite delicious. I've made it a few times and it's always worked really well.

LaughingGirl

Postby LaughingGirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am

Here's the link to Alton Brown's recipe--http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe/index.html

I know that there is also a vendor at the Tuesday East Side Farmers' Market that sells it and I've seen it at the Willy Street Coop (I'm assuming it's the same producer). Haven't tried it but a friend said it was quite good.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm

If you don't want to make it, I know they sell it at UW Provisions in a big box. Me and my sister have split one a few times. They have tatziki and flatbread there, too, if you are feeling lazy.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Is the meat all lamb? I always thought it tasted like lamb mixed with pork.

wikipedia was intensely unhelpful, saying that the meat could be lamb, veal, beef, pork, chicken.... or any mixture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

That big slab of meat hanging in the gyros restaurant obviously is not a cut of meat. What the hell is it, and how do they make it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Ate gyros from street vendors in Athens circa 1970 while in the Navy. Called it mystery meat back then. The term probably still applies.

hellogoodbye

Postby hellogoodbye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Woodmans East sells Kronos Gyros Strips & Tzatziki sauce in the freezer section. I think they also sell a packaged kit with pita, meat and Tzatziki.

I got the strips, they were ok in the traditional pita wrap, not great. I used some of the strips in a Greek style omelet and this was actually really good. They are made from lamb and pork.

Second the Alton Brown recipe, I've made it a bunch and it is yummy.

The best meat on a rotating spit I ever had was tacos el pastor, in Chicago. The real Mexican kind with the pineapple on top. The juice makes the meat otherworldly. And they put some of the pineapple on the taco too. I like these better than gyros. I have never seen this in WI, has anyone seen it up north?

http://mexicofoodandmore.com/wp-content ... trompo.jpg

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Usually lamb, often lamb+beef or lamb+pork. But it's one of those "We make it from whatever's handy" kind of dishes that goes back a looooong ways.

It's usually very finely ground, almost a paste, which is how they can form it into that big hunk on the spinning stick.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 pm

The meat at the Parthenon on State Street (is that place still in business?) is the standard recipe that one finds all over the country. It tastes like it was marinated in spices - delicious.

The Campus Biryani place on Regent Street, a block from stadium, serves chunks of meat that taste like all lamb too many. Also very good.

There's a greekish restaurant on the corner of Charter & Regent, I mercifully can't remember its name, that serves gyros meat that is like pressed turkey loaf from a deli. oh my god bad.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:06 am

Huckleby wrote:There's a greekish restaurant on the corner of Charter & Regent

No there isn't. (It was Palis, and it's a Wing Stop now.)

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Gotta give props to the gyros brats at Jenifer St Market. Slather them with a tzatziki sauce and they are as good as a traditional gyros. The last batch we had were really lamb-y tasting.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Wino wrote:Gotta give props to the gyros brats at Jenifer St Market. Slather them with a tzatziki sauce and they are as good as a traditional gyros. The last batch we had were really lamb-y tasting.

Yeah, I have to agree. And the sauce they sell at the produce counter is pretty good too. I prefer slicing them up and pan frying them, then filling up a fresh potato roll with the fixings, creating a bastardized mongrel Frankenstein thing that goes really well with a late night movie and a beer.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Jim's on Northport Drive has gyro brats and gyro patties. I like the patties, grill 'em, put in a warmed pita with onions, sauce, tomatoes. Yum! They also sell the sauce.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Wino wrote:Gotta give props to the gyros brats at Jenifer St Market. Slather them with a tzatziki sauce and they are as good as a traditional gyros. The last batch we had were really lamb-y tasting.

That sounds disgusting.

I really want to try one now.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 am

Those brats are amazing. Definitely try them.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”