smoking a pork shoulder on my Weber

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Petro
Forum Addict

Re: smoking a pork shoulder on my Weber

Postby Petro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Boy, have I learned that this summer. I'd been working my way through a bag from Whole Foods, and when I switched to Cowboy, man, did it take a long time for the bottom half of the kettle to cool down. It's almost too much of a good thing. I think the Whole Foods 365 brand tends to put off less ash than Cowboy, too.

Good call - the 365 Brand is good stuff too. (As is some other hippie brand that I found at the co-op in Viroqua - the Willy St. Co-op probably carries the same stuff.)

This is probably a good time to share this link to the Naked Whiz's lump charcoal database.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

rogue wrote:Meat temp should reach 160 degrees

Yikes, what're you making, pork jerky?

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 am

I use Kingsford Competition Briquettes, which are 100% natural -- no chemicals of any kind. When smoking something on the grill, it helps a lot to have a can or two of water on the grate with the meat to keep it from drying out. Basting with either a brush or spray bottle helps too. I've found with pork that marinating it in pineapple juice makes for a very tender and flavorful end product. Pineapple has natural enzymes that tenderize the meat. Seems that wood chips are readily available at grocery & hardware stores these days. Apple, hickory or mesquite are all good to me. Any wood chips sold for barbecuing usually have instructions suggesting that they be soaked.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”