What are you cooking with your CSA box?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
pds

What are you cooking with your CSA box?

Postby pds » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Or from the farmers' market, or your own garden? Maybe we could share some inspiration on how to use up items we have too much of, or share unusual preparations.

What can I do with 8 bunches of green onions?

I had too many radishes, so I cooked them for the first time. Should have cooked them in a foil packet on the grill like potatoes, instead just stir fried them with a little olive oil, butter, onions and seasoned salt. They went over well with the radish haters in the house.

I've had rhubarb deserts at Sardine (a pavlova) and Muramoto (can't remember) where the rhubarb was left crisp, rather than cooked soft. Has anyone seen a recipe like that? Unfortunately when googling crisp or crunchy and rhubarb everything I've found is a "rhubarb crisp".

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What are you cooking with your CSA box?

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:05 pm

I have no useful comment—just amusing myself imagining a comma after CSA. "None of your business, and don't call me a box."

It's the little things...

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 pm

I got turnips from someone's CSA share. They even have the tops! A duck is thawing in the fridge, it will be served with duck fat braised turnips and baby red or Yukon potatoes, turnip greens with garlic, and some type of salad.

Grilled scallions, yummy. Spring greens with vinegar dressing (equal parts vinegar, water, and sugar.) anybody have French breakfast radishes for sandwiches? I have cultured butter.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:52 pm

No CSA box this year - the contents last year were not what was advertised. I appreciate that the tomato harvest season is shorter than for greens and such, but I expect that when it does hit, we are going to get a bunch in the box - not three.

Farmers market and our own garden can do the job, along with Brennans.

juice

Postby juice » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 am

I generally look to pickling, canning, or freezing if I can't use all of something, such as 8 bunches of green onions! I would say grill them, but I usually only do about 2 onions per protein. If you don't know how to can, pick up a book. I have a great one made by Ball(they make mason jars etc.), if you're a beginner try "Putting Food By."

To Igor: that's the nature of a CSA. Something didn't go as expected when you're getting 3 tomatoes per week.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 pm

My parents are my CSA box.

Last night I made dinner with my haul from visiting them this weekend. I made a salad with three kinds of lettuce (bibb, greenleaf and arugula) and fresh strawberries, dressed with a vinaigrette I made with fresh spearmint, applemint and dill. Then I made a skillet dish with asparagus, snow peas, and fresh oregano and cilantro.

Took me two damn hours to make, but it was frickin' good.

Then I had more fresh strawberries on vanilla gelato for desert.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 pm

I thought the Civil War solved that whole CSA thing.

Taco
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Six posts and counting and not ONE person lists the most obvious answer - tacos! Let's face it crew - greens-heavy tacos (assuming that's where you're at, CSA-wise) can be both nutritious and delicious, and they make great group food. Have your palls over, cook some greens, add your favorite protein and you will be the belle of the block!

I feel obligated to mention that fajitas and burritos are also great ways to work through your greens, but let's face it champs - that's sucker food. Tacos are the thing!

Mid-summer when things get crazy with the tomatoes and the, uh, garlic scapes? No problema! Modify your taco recipe, do a little sauteing and leave room in that estómago for some cerveza!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Always with the tacos with you, Taco.

I'm thinking you're taco-obsessed.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm

juice wrote:To Igor: that's the nature of a CSA. Something didn't go as expected when you're getting 3 tomatoes per week.

The issue wasn't the 3 per week - it was that we only got 1 week (or maybe two) that had the 3 tomatoes.

If we are going to get all greens and squash, say so.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Igor wrote:
juice wrote:To Igor: that's the nature of a CSA. Something didn't go as expected when you're getting 3 tomatoes per week.

The issue wasn't the 3 per week - it was that we only got 1 week (or maybe two) that had the 3 tomatoes.

Maybe they had a small crop due to tomato blight, which you can't exactly blame them for not forewarning you.

Taco
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Marvell wrote:Always with the tacos with you, Taco.

I'm thinking you're taco-obsessed.

Hey, if you were as delicious as I am, you'd be self-centered as well.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 pm

O.J. wrote:
Igor wrote:

Maybe they had a small crop due to tomato blight, which you can't exactly blame them for not forewarning you.

I recall 2009 was the year of tomato blight, so we received very few tomatos in our CSA share. Last year, however, more than made up for it. Also due to last year's warm spring, our deliveries began one week earlier. So there can be up and down years.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Taco wrote:Hey, if you were as delicious as I am, you'd be self-centered as well.

Even Martin Luther King Jr loved those tacos.

http://www.bannedinhollywood.com/senior ... ing-tacos/

Mistress Becci

Postby Mistress Becci » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 pm

What is a CSA box?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”