Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chicago-Style Dogs & Beef

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Yes to wings, no to wyngz.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:44 pm

barney wrote:Not sure it falls into the hot dog stand bailiwick, but it's hard to find a good portobello mushroom sandwich in this city, for some reason. Just a grilled giant mushroom on a nice bun, some pesto or balsamic, a tomato and lettuce, maybe a slice of provolone.
And it's a good veggie option (much better than those disgusting soy dogs....)

(I know the Harmony has one, but I haven't been feeling that place lately....I do wish Dexter's would add something like this, but I digress.)

Threadjack: I'm a repeat orderer of the portobello sandwich at Brasserie V and give it big thumbs up.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Jalapeno corn dog bites for apps? There's an Alton Brown recipe for jalepeno corn dogs that rocks.

Really good fries, both regular and sweet potato would be a hit with me.

rogue

Postby rogue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Hushpuppies. Anyone know where you can get made from scratch hushpuppies in this town?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Beer is an excellent appetizer, no?

hmmmph

Postby hmmmph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

I had some Italian nachos a couple weeks ago that were delicious -- deep fried wontons, alfredo sauce, crumbled Italian sausage, pepperoncini, tomatoes....delicious.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm

supaunknown wrote:I don't get why people like quesadillas. The 'bite texture' seems wrong to me - too undefined and oogy in the middle. It does seem to help if the preparer crisps up the outer tortillas in a pan with a little oil though.

Who is serving you soggy quesadillas? That is just wrong.

EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I"d guess Babe's East was open about a year. As for wings, I'm an ex-Buffalo boy, and would like the original Anchor Bar treatment w/ bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks. Get that right, and I don't care what other variations you add.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

rogue wrote:Hushpuppies. Anyone know where you can get made from scratch hushpuppies in this town?

Liliana's are excellent.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't know if it's possible to obtain behind the cheddar curtain, but using the proper Gonnella bread on an italian beef makes all the difference. Every time I've had a proper, sloppy beef in Madison it's been served on a roll that doesn't have the same glutinous texture as the Gonnella rolls - and it just doesn't stand up to the juice.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am

I ate at Dog-Eat-Dog on King once or twice - I liked the place and I'm sure I would've stopped in for a dog more than a few times by now had it lived a longer life.
But if a hot dog joint can't make it in downtown Madison, really the only spot in town to drum up enough business to keep the place afloat, the chances of a 200 seat spot on the periphery of Madison (if true) lasting more than a year are slim to none.
And really, what's the point of having 200 seats when hot dogs are meant to be eaten standing up?

Wait a minute, more than 200 seats and on the east side you say? Maybe it's a new spot in the Easttowne Mall food court to compete with Orange Julius :-)

As for additional menu items, how about some simple varieties of grilled cheese, on the cheap?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 am

Petro wrote:I don't know if it's possible to obtain behind the cheddar curtain, but using the proper Gonnella bread on an italian beef makes all the difference. Every time I've had a proper, sloppy beef in Madison it's been served on a roll that doesn't have the same glutinous texture as the Gonnella rolls - and it just doesn't stand up to the juice.

Pretty sure the Home Depot dog cart uses Gonnella rolls; they do Italian beef now, too.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Pretty sure the Home Depot dog cart uses Gonnella rolls; they do Italian beef now, too.

I'm by no means an Italian beef expert but I was pleasantly surprised by the Home Depot cart sandwich.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

Petro wrote:I don't know if it's possible to obtain behind the cheddar curtain, but using the proper Gonnella bread on an italian beef makes all the difference.

No doubt, Gonnella is important, but low quality or poorly sliced or beef, or improper spicing can ruin an Italian beef just as easily as the wrong roll can.

Rosati's is a good example... they use good bread, but are as likely as not to ruin the meat itself. On good days it's GREAT. On bad days... fuhgeddaboudit.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am

This was my problem with the Rosati's beef I ate the other day. The meat was stringy. Not good.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”