Tex Tubb's confusion

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
okiebp

Re: Tex Tubb's confusion

Postby okiebp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:39 am

Oh Dear Lord.. Pedros has to be the worst slop anyone could put on a plate and call it mexican food.
awful horrible food

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 am

When is the last time you ate at Pedro's? They have definitely improved their food.

I find very little difference between ANY of the Mexican restaurants, it's mostly the same stuff. People get a bad meal at one place (and every single joint is fully capable of serving a bad meal) and they bad mouth the restaurant into eternity.

Most of the restaraunts have a couple dishes on their menu that they do well. Some people complain of food at La Hacienda on Park Street, but they do a few things very well: excellent soups and veggie fajittas. It depends on who's cooking that shift.

For a while I thought the Larredos chain did a decent job overall, then I was aghast that they started using awful, fake chorizo. This is sacrilege, chorizo is the food of the gods.

I tried the two small, family run restaurants further down Park street. A lot of Mexicans eat at one of them, so it HAD to be good. Not so.

Texas Tubbs (or whatever it is called now) is a half notch better in consistency than the rest. La Bambas (three fast-food looking restaruants around town) makes a great burritto. Oh, and they make best breakfast I've found.

There is intense competition and price pressure for Mexican restaurants. In the end, very little differentiates them, the stark testimonials are hot air.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Huckleby wrote:When is the last time you ate at Pedro's? They have definitely improved their food.

Are you talking about a specific location or the chain in general? I eat at the one in the Dells yearly during the summer (not by choice) and it seems to get worse every visit. I'm surprised the people I am with want to keep going back.

Huckleby wrote:For a while I thought the Larredos chain did a decent job overall, then I was aghast that they started using awful, fake chorizo. This is sacrilege, chorizo is the food of the gods.

The Laredo's east still serves the real chorizo.

I usually rate a Mexican place on the quality/availability of chorizo, horchata, and guacamole. Pedro's gets an F on all three.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Huckleby wrote:When is the last time you ate at Pedro's? They have definitely improved their food.

I find very little difference between ANY of the Mexican restaurants, it's mostly the same stuff. People get a bad meal at one place (and every single joint is fully capable of serving a bad meal) and they bad mouth the restaurant into eternity.

I ate at Pedro's last month. I had enchiladas. The flavors were not as complex as the Amy's frozen Mexican dinner I had earlier in the week. I went for the company of good friends, not for great food. I don't think much of Laredo's either.

Many of the Mexican places in town are interchangeable but not all. On the cheap side, I think Antojitos el Toril has nice flavors. I also like Cilantro. They make their own mole sauce. I was amazed how hard it was to find homemade mole sauce in Madison. (I am a vegetarian unless it involves homemade mole sauce.)

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Arguing whose taco is most "authentic" is about as moronic as arguing whose macaroni & cheese recipe is most American. Who fucking cares? Mexico, like America, is a huge fucking country and what you get is going to be different from region to region.

To say nothing of the fact that taste is subjective and "authentic" usually gets thrown around to mean "like the ones I liked so much in City_X when I was growing up." My take on an authentic taco is two corn tortillas, meat, cilantro, onions and choice of salsa. It may not be a taco to you if it's not sporting cheese and tomatoes. Fine. Whoopee. I once had an argument about whether fish tacos actually exist in Mexico -- with a guy who had apparently overlooked the preponderance of coastline bordering much of that landmass (hint: they do).

One thing's certain: Laredo's and Pedro's are the Chef Boyardee of local Mexican fare. Like 'em all you want, hell I still get juvenile cravings for bad canned pasta now and again when the comfort food mood hits. But "authentic" doesn't really enter the debate with these particular franchises. I'm sorry, but when I can't tell the difference between the enchilada, the taco and the burrito on my combo platter, we're talking a cut above cafeteria food, maybe.

timby

Postby timby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 pm

My wife and I ate at the west side Pedro's about a month and a half ago. I ordered enchiladas suizas.

The "sauce" was just pure ranch dressing. Image

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:47 pm

My first visit to Pan and Pan--for two chorizo tacos, an asada taco, and some kind of cream-filled croissant-ish concoction--was extremely enjoyable. Double corn, cilantro and onion, just the way Uncle Leaver likes 'em.

I think I prefer the Antojitos El Toril style, with radish slices thrown in, but that's a quibble. And I enjoyed Pan and Pan's salsas more than El Toril's.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 am

rrnate wrote:They're "in transition" or some such thing. Incidentally, having gone there recently, it feels like a big downgrade in quality. (The east side Tex Tubb's is still awesome.)

huge downgrade in quality, especially in the menu choices.
my family and I used to love going there but having gone there once after the transition we won't be back.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 am

I miss Pelayos.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Arguing whose taco is most "authentic" is about as moronic as arguing whose macaroni & cheese recipe is most American. Who fucking cares? Mexico, like America, is a huge fucking country and what you get is going to be different from region to region.

I fucking always fucking wait until I fucking read your fucking opinions before I fucking make any fucking decisions, fucking Uncle Fucking Leaver. Fucking thanks for all you fucking do.

Fucking hell fucking yeah.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Authentic dipshits are more easily identified, however.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote: My take on an authentic taco is two corn tortillas, meat, cilantro, onions and choice of salsa.

This was what I liked about Taco Heaven, a place most people on this board ran down. Tried to get the same at the seemingly universally vaunted Los Gemelos and it was nowhere near as good. Maybe they were having an off night.

Taco
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm sorry guys, but in my book, there is only one authentic Taco.

Leaver's point is well made but clearly overlooks ME.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:52 pm

eriedasch wrote:[

I usually rate a Mexican place on the quality/availability of chorizo, horchata, and guacamole. Pedro's gets an F on all three.

You're too generous on the gucamole.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

minicat wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote: My take on an authentic taco is two corn tortillas, meat, cilantro, onions and choice of salsa.

This was what I liked about Taco Heaven, a place most people on this board ran down. Tried to get the same at the seemingly universally vaunted Los Gemelos and it was nowhere near as good. Maybe they were having an off night.

Note to self, never use you as a food reference. Two strikes on that post.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”