Pasqual's Moving

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Pasqual's Moving

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

From Dudgeon-Monroe neighborhood to Vilas.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pasqual's Moving

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:30 am

Haven't been to Pasqual's in years. Their version of Tex-Mex (or should I say Southwest-Mex?) is not my thing. But I am wondering exactly where they will be going in my hood. Do you know their new address, Stu?

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37 am

The owners opened the Gallup coffee shop in what used to be Ancora on Monroe. My guess is the restaurant is moving into the space formerly belonging to the Dardanelles, which is right next door.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 am

I wish they would move out of Hilldale so a good restaurant could go in...

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am

Haven't been in years.

I used to work just down the block from a location and went quite often. I did enjoy the food.

But...

I seriously never got an order that was 100% correct. Hard shell instead of soft. Lettuce when asked for none. Sour cream not on the side. Etc, etc, etc.

For quite awhile is was kinda a running joke as we looked thru the bag once back at the office. Sometimes way off, sometimes just a little. But never 100%.

It was funny for awhile then it just got frustrating and I stopped going.

If they move over to the old Dardanelles location they'll be back in walking distance for lunch so I might try again. One chance this time tho'.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:28 pm

I love Pasqual's, especially the little bar at Hilldale where you can sit and watch basketball, drink margaritas, eat chips and quesadillas all damn afternoon if you want.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:I love Pasqual's, especially the little bar at Hilldale where you can sit and watch basketball, drink margaritas, eat chips and quesadillas all damn afternoon if you want.

In a sterile, warehouse-like environment with food that rivals Taco Bell. Perhaps the booze and TVs help, just don't turn around or look at your plate.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:The owners opened the Gallup coffee shop in what used to be Ancora on Monroe. My guess is the restaurant is moving into the space formerly belonging to the Dardanelles, which is right next door.

I think you are right. I just drove by the old Dardanelles and the windows are all papered up and there is a name (didn't catch it) of some construction firm on the door.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 pm

i just got finished with a commuter burrito from the monroe street pasquals. joint is right around the corner from my house. i'll be sad to see it go, after boycotting it for years, i came to appreciate the food and especially the margaritas. ah well... wonder what might move in to that space... probably nothing :(

LaughingGirl

Postby LaughingGirl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 pm

There are only a couple of menu items that I really enjoy there, but the kids will probably be happy that it's a bit closer if indeed it goes into the old Dardanelles' space. I hope a real taqueria (a la Taqueria Guadalajara) moves in to the "old" Pasqual's space!!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 pm

A "real taqueria" coudn't afford the rent.

LaughingGirl

Postby LaughingGirl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A "real taqueria" coudn't afford the rent.

Good point, but I can still dream.....

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:44 am

So what happened to the Dardanelles? Are they gone? I really should look around Monroe Street more instead of just in and out of Trader Joes...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:48 am

persia wrote:So what happened to the Dardanelles? Are they gone? I really should look around Monroe Street more instead of just in and out of Trader Joes...

Here

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 pm

OK, it may technically be the Vilas Neighborhood, it's still Monroe St. It will actually be a bit closer for me, or at least the hill is less steep between me and that part of Monroe.

I like to go to Pasqual's for brunch and for margaritas (normally not at the same meal.) They make a damned fine margarita.

The current Monroe St location was a real institution, the original location. First a deli, with just a couple of stools by the window, if you really wanted to eat in. Then they expanded next door with real tables and staff would bring your order out to you. Then a third storefront acquisition, but the place was still packed on a regular basis.

Although we can debate the merits of the food forever, one of my gripes was not about the food. The place was very popular with families, which is great. But the lack of soft surfaces made it loud, especially when a few young ones got overly excited. My ears would ring after being there on a busy Sunday morning.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”