Ice Cream Makers

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Ice Cream Makers

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Any recommendations on an ice cream maker? It looks like a 2 qt. Cuisinart is readily available in town for roughly $70-$80, while the best reviews online seem to be for White Mountain, where a 4 qt. electrical will run about $230. I'd be willing to go that high if the machine is noticeably superior to the alternatives. Thanks for any suggestions.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ice Cream Makers

Postby barney » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:45 pm

If you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, you might look at their ice cream maker attachment. We have it, and love it.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Do they make machines that are quieter than rock tumblers now?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 pm

We have a cuisinart model that we got from CostCo. Works pretty well as long as you chill the mixture before spinning in the ice cream maker. Pretty loud though...

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm

I have had really good luck following Cook's Illustrated recommendations. Their top-rated maker is Whynter SNÖ Professional Ice Cream Maker. The second place is Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. The Cuisinart is a lot cheaper; it is also the noisiest.

I have the Kitchenaid mixer attachment. I am not overly impressed. Neither was Cook's Illustrated. Part of my problem is that my Kitchenaid mixer is really old.

2dogmom

Postby 2dogmom » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 pm

I have the 2qt cuisinart and while loud, it works well...just made a dark chocolate sorbet from "the sweet life" yumm

juice

Postby juice » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Orange Tree had the Cuisinart for 50 bucks about a year ago.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Try the White Mountain maker. (I can testify it works just as well when the power is out.) I used to have a 19-quart model that was a pleasure to use. Definitely a crowd-pleaser. We found it worked best to limt ourselves to 16 quarts at a go.

The hands-on involvement in the process is satisfying and informative: After a certain point, you can gauge the ice cream's readiness by the resistance of the handle. The time will vary according to your recipe, but the degree of righteous resistance is pretty uniform.

Afterward, tightly pack any remaining ice cream in small containers.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks for all the suggestions; I opted for the Cuisinart 2 qt. model. If my girlfriend doesn't like it, I'll know just who to blame.

Kit

Postby Kit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 am

I think there are nothing for making ice cream machines in my mind. I made ice cream with my own-self and loved it. . . :D

work at home business opportunity

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”