IHOP on university?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Re: IHOP on university?

Postby Walter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:13 pm

LaughingGirl wrote:I was an occasional goat rodeo participant back in the early 80's. Never went there sober or at "normal" hours.

Did anyone?

The whole overnight waitstaff used to quit en mass and they would have to close until they could get some more suckers to work that shift!

My favorite memory was going there for a "huge fight inside the dining room" and upon my solo arrival seeing a couple of dozen people running in every direction.

I went inside and the manager was screaming at me to "Go get them! They left without paying! THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!" while every table and every chair except one was overturned and there was food all over the ceiling, walls, windows, and floor. There was one customer left, sitting on the only upright chair in the middle of the room, holding a plate under his face, drunkenly yet furiously nom-nom-nom-ing as he was staring off into a hazy, undefined middle distance as if no one else existed.

I turned around and went back to my squad.

10-8, no report.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 pm

Walter, you need to write a book.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 am

From my visits there in the nineties after bar time, I failed to witness anything too out of hand.
Downtown still needs a 24/7 diner.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:09 pm

That's because you were too drunk to remember any of the details, along with just about everyone else in the place after, say, midnight. "Man, I feel like shit - where did we go after Genna's last night, anyway?"

As a cab driver, I NEVER pulled in the lot. Pulled up out front on University, counted to 5, "No Load" into the microphone and floored it.

If someone stumbled out and got in the cab, $20 puke deposit up front. When they actually threw up, THEY had to clean it up, and I kept the $20.

The one out in Shorewood will never be like that. It's on the wrong side of the road, it doesn't have the signature pointed roof, and the drunks won't be able to find it in the dark.

It's going to be the overflow location for the pancake house farther west for families on the weekend MORNINGS, I think.

Or the coffee hangout for cabbies and cops......

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 pm

kiwiwannabe wrote:That's because you were too drunk to remember any of the details, along with just about everyone else in the place after, say, midnight.

That's not entirely true. There was a time or two where I may have been sober and drove in just for a place near downtown to eat breakfast past midnight. Whether cops & cabbies like it or not, 24/7 diners serve a purpose :D

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 pm

MadMind75 wrote:There was a time or two where I may have been sober and drove in just for a place near downtown to eat breakfast past midnight. Whether cops & cabbies like it or not, 24/7 diners serve a purpose :D

The 24/7 diner is a musician's best friend. Post-gig breakfast at the Waffle House in Bloomington, IN couldn't be beat. 3 a.m. load-out, then load up. Not to be confused with that other waffle house chain ubiquitous in the southern U.S.A., this was pretty decent fare for the more discerning late night/early morning denizen. Always reminded of them when I see the High Noon logo - sunshine face = post-gig pecan waffles.

Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Despite the haters, I went to IHOP this morning. :) It was definitely busy and a lot of staff on hand for their opening weekend including a balloon animal maker. Although, really, the huge amounts of smorgasboard pancake/french toast options reminded me of this:
http://www.theonion.com/video/dominos-s ... ill,14252/

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Haters? Hey, I don't hate 24 hour restaurants or diners. I wish we had a good one somewhere downtown. I work until 7am and would love to have a place to get a real meal for lunch.

I just hated the IHOP at U and Bassett because it was complete bedlam in there.

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 am

It's actually on the Madison side of University Avenue...

Still an IHOP opening in 2010 is amazing, probably the first one this century...

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

So is this new IHOP open 24/7? Not sure if that's a chain-wide thing at this time or at the discretion of each location.
I know the far east side location has wavered in and out of late night closing times over the years.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am

So is this new IHOP open 24/7? Not sure if that's a chain-wide thing at this time or at the discretion of each location.

They may have options but pretty sure 24/7 is part of the business model.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”