New Place on Atwood

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jtmehrin

New Place on Atwood

Postby jtmehrin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 am

Anyone have any insight on the new cafe/diner that is on Atwood in the old Icon Paintings building? Haven't seen any threads or articles on it, and can't tell if they're open yet (only driven by, and there is little to no signage).

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Place on Atwood

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=30313

They do have articles and other info posted in the window.

jtmehrin

Postby jtmehrin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks,

I guess I need to get out in the neighborhood more. They've been open since late August, and I just noticed the place in the last week or two.

Oh well - I make my own coffee anyway. Thought it would be more of diner place than a coffee shop. Wonder how the cafe zoma people feel about it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 am

jtmehrin wrote:Wonder how the cafe zoma people feel about it.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're not too worried. The place has really brief hours; unless you're one of those hipster-types who doesn't appear to need a full-time job to survive, Victory has gone dark long before you need a little postprandial caffeine. Zoma will do fine for everyone who doesn't have to face east (read: Williamsburg) five times a day.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 am

TheBookPolice wrote: Zoma will do fine for everyone who doesn't have to face east (read: Williamsburg) five times a day.

Sounds like someone is jealous . . . or stupid.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
jtmehrin wrote:Wonder how the cafe zoma people feel about it.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're not too worried. The place has really brief hours; unless you're one of those hipster-types who doesn't appear to need a full-time job to survive, Victory has gone dark long before you need a little postprandial caffeine. Zoma will do fine for everyone who doesn't have to face east (read: Williamsburg) five times a day.

Whoa whoa whoa. That's a little biased, no? As a neighborhood denizen allow me to put on my coffee snob hat... there.

Cafe Zoma is good in a "cafe" sense. A nice place to sit and chat, have a business meeting, maybe get some work done via one's laptop. The yard abutting the bike path is lovely, and the airy,open atmosphere is great during the day and cozy when the sun goes down. I like the staff and I go there from time to time.

However, the coffee (and specifically the espresso) is straight up swill compared to Victory's. There truly is a difference between good espresso and bad. I'll add that the owner of Victory has completely won me over by remembering my name, my daughter's name, and being genuinely fun to chat with. Also, the vibe at Victory is über kid-friendly, and with no wifi, plus oodles of newspapers on those old wooden library spindles, it is a great place to relax. I appreciate that some of their baked goods come from Ironworks Cafe, as well.

Taco
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 pm

No tacos? Pffffft.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Whoa whoa whoa. That's a little biased, no?

Well of course it is. ;) I'm mystified--and crabby in no small measure--about their extremely limiting hours of operation. The hipster shots are just easy jabs.

Your praise of Victory is well-said; I just wish I could partake some time.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Understood!
But their hours are:
Mon. – Fri.: 6:30 am – 5:30 pm
Sat. – Sun.: 7:30 am – 5:30 pm

Not so unreasonable for a coffee shop; later than Mermaid, same time as Ancora on King.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:08 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Understood!
But their hours are:

Not so unreasonable for a coffee shop; later than Mermaid, same time as Ancora on King.

Also places I almost never get to, FWIW. Actually, pretty sure I've never been to Ancora on King, ever.

The problem is that when the weekend comes around, I'm not in need or want of a coffeeshop to lounge around in. I'm gettin' shit done. I need relaxation on weeknights, when I want to throttle somebody for what went on from, say, 6:30 am - 5:30 pm that day.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
swoon_queen wrote:Understood!
But their hours are:

Also places I almost never get to, FWIW. Actually, pretty sure I've never been to Ancora on King, ever.

The problem is that when the weekend comes around, I'm not in need or want of a coffeeshop to lounge around in. I'm gettin' shit done. I need relaxation on weeknights, when I want to throttle somebody for what went on from, say, 6:30 am - 5:30 pm that day.

You guys are cracking me up here. I've seldom ever been to a place that only does the 6:30 AM - 5:30 PM hours during the week too, (because of a standard-issue office job) but Bookpolice, you're just being silly. Their main customer base isn't so much "hipsters" as students, people that work in the area and service industry folks that work at night - not every place needs to cater to you and your bacon-craving ways.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The problem is that when the weekend comes around, I'm not in need or want of a coffeeshop to lounge around in. I'm gettin' shit done.

I bet, it probably takes forever to write your anti-hipster diatribes. Between railing against the populace of an entire urban area and correcting people's opinions on this Forum--not to mention installing a home theater or crafting an urbane blog--I'm surprised you have any time at all to drink coffee.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:22 pm

rrnate wrote:Bookpolice, you're just being silly.

I think that's been acknowledged, but if not--yes. And don't you think about badmouthing bacon!

Thanks Fat, for bookmarking my least interesting post, like, ever! I appreciate the readership.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
rrnate wrote:Bookpolice, you're just being silly.

I think that's been acknowledged, but if not--yes. And don't you think about badmouthing bacon!

Thanks Fat, for bookmarking my least interesting post, like, ever! I appreciate the readership.

Mental image - Fats getting ever closer to a rage-induced heart attack while reading your blog and drinking coffee at Victory.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:04 pm

rrnate wrote:Mental image - Fats getting ever closer to a rage-induced heart attack while reading your blog and drinking coffee at Victory.

Except they don't have wi-fi.. Which sounds great.

Swoon, thanks for the espresso review. I've been meaning to stop in and taste for myself as I've heard this from a few people now.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”