Magnus goes to the bikes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
LindsayNicole

Re: Magnus goes to the bikes

Postby LindsayNicole » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 am

TAsunder, now I'm curious -- what's your number one? I'd have to say Sardine for myself, for many reasons (not just the food).

And now that I think about it, maybe the wine list won't go away? I guess I just assumed that if you have a bike-oriented restaurant, the wine list isn't going to be the same as at a fine dining establishment. But maybe I'm wrong? Natt Spil (another Berge enterprise) has a great list.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 pm

My #1 is L'Etoile by a noticeable margin. #3 Muramoto. After that it's unclear, because there are a ton of good options.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Perhaps our own Schwinn Man could be their mascot?

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I don't think L'Etoile usually counts along with Sardine/Magnus/Muramoto in my book, because it's head and shoulders above them in price and overall experience. My family has known them for years and my brother used to work there, and I've STILL only been there once. The meal was... well, I won't say ridiculously priced, since it was worth it, but it was up there. But it really was a different experience than anything else in town.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Don't you know? Everyone from Milwaukee is going to step off the Milwaukee-Madison light rail, ride their bikes across the street, eat, then get back on the train to go home.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:47 am

"Restaurant Magnus space is for lease and that plans for Velo Bahn, his bike-centric gastropub-style restaurant, have been scotched."

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=31508

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:38 am

Crockett wrote:"Restaurant Magnus space is for lease and that plans for Velo Bahn, his bike-centric gastropub-style restaurant, have been scotched."

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=31508

Ugh, that's a big bag of suck. I read that the other day and was kind of pissed.

There was a couple weeks near the end of summer where the rail plans were moving forward, I had heard about the latest plans for the E. Wash corridor, and I was starting to get really excited about how the city might look in 10 years. it seems like we were moving towards a very foot-traffic friendly/cool/urban with greenspace/transportation hub kind of future.....now, not so much.

-Dan Motor

-Dan Motor

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:36 pm

There ya got it --the first business failure (or failure to start) following Walker's train fiasco.

There will be more, though the hardest to count are the ones that never will be born at all.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 pm

In addition to the loss of some great food and atmosphere, this is a huge blow to the local jazz and world music scene. Hopefully the Berges can open a replacement elsewhere in the not too distant future.

Way to go Walker, you ignorant, stubborn jackass.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm

God damn it.

I don't know if this plan would have worked / place would have opened even with the train, but this sure does suck massively.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:There ya got it --the first business failure (or failure to start) following Walker's train fiasco.

There will be more, though the hardest to count are the ones that never will be born at all.

And we thought Walker was prolife.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Does anyone know what's slated to go in the <tear> now vacant Magnus space? It's no longer listed anywhere for rent or sale.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm pretty sure Henry Doane from Tornado is taking it. With what, I don't know. But that is good news.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”