New owner @ Willalby's

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
bigdumbgirl

New owner @ Willalby's

Postby bigdumbgirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Anybody check out Willalby's Cafe (across from Ace on Willy) the last few weeks? The place got sold to one of the cooks for the previous owner. It certainly smells better in there and while the menu is pretty much the same, the food tastes much better, too!

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: New owner @ Willalby's

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 pm

bigdumbgirl wrote: It certainly smells better in there and while the menu is pretty much the same, the food tastes much better, too!

Hm. Good to know. I haven't been able to bring myself to go back to Willalby's since the first and only time I went, when the overwhelming grease/burned coffee/milk(?) smell drove me bonkers. Plus I couldn't get it out of the clothes I wore that day. With all of the other great options for breakfast/brunch in the area I didn't really miss it. but I did notice that they are now open late (as in after bar time, I believe) which seriously bolsters their diner cred, in my opinion.
Last edited by swoon_queen on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

It would be great if it were open all night. Anyone know the new hours?

I would like to have a place to get actual food after 4 am.

bigdumbgirl

Postby bigdumbgirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm

I found their Facebook page and hours:

Sun - Wed: 6:00 am - 1:30 pm
Thurs - Sat: 6:00 am - 1:30 pm then 11:00 pm - 4:00 am

In the last few years I'd only eaten there when I was too hungover to worry about the smell/food. Then I popped in last week and was pleasantly surprised to find it under new ownership. I've always wanted it to be a proper neighborhood diner, and now maybe that dream will come true!

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:53 pm

I live on that block and have had both terrible service and pretty brutal food there on the 2 occasions I visited. I am willing to give them another try--but as swoon says there are so many good breakfast/brunch options in our neighborhood...

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”