Sprecher's Pub

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Sprecher's Pub

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 am

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Sprecher's so I'll start one - if only to complain.

Tried Flingers errr... I mean Sprecher's Pub today and it's just another glorified TGI Friday's, but with over-inflated prices and lesser food.

Cherry Cola isn't on tap (therefore no $1 refills) - though actually Sprecher's Cherry Cola tastes kinda weird to me.
What little of their special BBQ sauce on my BBQ burger was on the lettuce and onions - which I remove - so I paid an extra $1 for an onion ring. Dipping sauce for the pub fries was nasty.
$9 for a mediocre burger is just plain stupid, and more importantly the burger was OK at best. Should've eaten at Cheeseburger's In Paradise or TGI's instead.

"Casual dining" restaurants are a dime a dozen, Sprecher's included.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sprecher's Pub

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:34 am

I've come here for lunch about a half dozen times, mainly based on the convenience factor for meeting up with my father. He loves the place for their soup & salad lunch special, specifically because he can get anchovies with his Caesar salad. I've never found anything to complain about concerning the food. I like the chicken sandwich with bacon and gouda, and their veggie club has pretty good hummus on it. The prices could stand to come down a notch, but the place is always packed for lunch and I'm guessing this isn't out of line for a lot of the clientele.

I like the place because of Sprecher's Black Bavarian. It's one of my favorite beers and finding it on tap is always great. I had one experience several months ago where the beer tasted like there was soap in the lines or the like, but I've never had a problem since. As long as they serve Sprecher's beer I'll keep coming back.

Yeah, it doesn't stack up to a lot of the better places downtown but that's par for the course out on the west side. I don't know if it's better than a TGI Fridays or the like - I haven't really been to one of those places in a few years - but I'd say it's a touch nicer than Cheeseburger.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:40 am

wallrock wrote:Yeah, it doesn't stack up to a lot of the better places downtown but that's par for the course out on the west side. I don't know if it's better than a TGI Fridays or the like - I haven't really been to one of those places in a few years - but I'd say it's a touch nicer than Cheeseburger.

It pales in comparison to Bonfyre, The Old Fashioned, and probably falls short of the Dane and even Cannery Bar and Grill in Sun Prairie.

If the food were cheaper, it wouldn't be such a downer. And the beer is often great (ditto on Black Bavarian, wallrock, but I've seen it on tap at Brasserie V, too)--but often not (El Rey, EPA). The prices bring the overall benefit down to Cheeseburger or Friday's level, if perhaps coming just ahead of Applebees, perhaps the worst restaurant in the history of Western civilization.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It pales in comparison to Bonfyre, The Old Fashioned, and probably falls short of the Dane and even Cannery Bar and Grill in Sun Prairie.

I don't disagree, although I haven't been to Bonfyre yet. I probably wouldn't go back if not for the Sprecher's beer (speaking of which, I've also seen the Black Bavarian on tap at the Echo). I didn't find the EPA to my taste either, though I do like their Winter Brew.

In a perfect world I'd always meet up with my dad at wonderful downtown places like the Old Fashioned or Coopers, but geography and busy schedules often consigns us to the edge of the west side. That makes Sprecher's convenient but not exactly a destination.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm

i really liked the food when it first opened, but subsequent visits were downhill. haven't been back in months.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Where is this Sprecher's Pub?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Beaver wrote:Where is this Sprecher's Pub?

The former Houlihan's and--for about three minutes--Out Restaurant and Nightclub.

http://www.thedailypage.com/theguide/ve ... venue=3264

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 pm

I stopped by for lunch today.

The Beer Cheese Soup was good.

The half Chicken Roll-up was about 5 small cubes of chicken and some greens wrapped in a stale tortilla. A pile of crap at any price.

A snack wrap from McD's would've been more satisfying.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:57 pm

HeyZeus wrote:

Harsh, very Simon Cowell-ish..."A cocktail of Drano and syrup of ipecac would have been a welcome relief to that absurd compost pile they call a "salad bar"".

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Average Joe wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:

Harsh...

Not if it's true. :D

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I've recently had enjoyable experiences in their outdoor patio, but the food wasn't something I'd go out of my way to obtain.

I'll probably be back, if only because I work nearby. I think that's the only reason that a lot of people wind up there.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”