Pho Nam?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Pho Nam?

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 pm

I see that there's a sign on a space on Junction Rd that reads "coming soon: Pho Nam"

Anybody know anything about it? I love Pho...

hintzilla

Re: Pho Nam?

Postby hintzilla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

This is pretty close to my office and I go right by it on my way home. I'll keep an eye on it and will probably have lunch there as soon as I see they're open.

hintzilla

Postby hintzilla » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am

It looks like construction is done inside, the walls are painted, and the tables and chairs are set up. They still haven't listed any kind of opening date, but I haven't actually gone in to ask them either. I'm guessing they'll open in the next few weeks or so. Off to Saigon for now...

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm

They're open now.

I happened to notice a "grand opening" sign as I drove past in the right-hand northbound lane, so I made the most convoluted turnaround as legally possible (out to Old Sauk, onto Excelsior, turn around in a parking lot and then back...) and stopped in for dinner.

It was precisely what I look for in pho tai - boiling-hot broth with thin slices of nearly raw beef added that cooks through while you season it with the accompanying plate of sprouts, purple basil, lime, chiles and even a sprig of sawtooth.

I made the nearly unforgivable mistake of not tasting the broth before seasoning it - but in the post-seasoned state it was exactly what I wanted.

They're running a special for the grand opening where they seem to be comping a portion of your meal - possibly to offset any hassles in service in a new restaurant? At any rate, they comped me an appetizer of egg rolls. In all honesty, it was a panic choice on my part as I hadn't even looked at that page of the menu. They were good - obviously not frozen and prepackaged, and tasty enough in their own right, served with a small dish of hoison with julienned carrot and peanuts.

I'm pretty happy to have this place nearby. I'll be looking forward to steaming bowls of pho on cold winter days.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”