Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Counter service totally makes sense. Works at Smoky Jon's.

Also: This thread provides better information for the owners than a comment card, "friends and family" opening or any other standard restaurant opening method for getting feedback. We should consider offering it as a paid service for local restaurants.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Some of the best ribs I've had ever.

I thought the mexican street corn was really good. My friend thought it was a bit mushy and wanted it grilled. But he throws Popeye's fried chicken on the grill.

I like Sweet Baby Rays and not a lot of it anyway so that wasn't a big deal to me. Tasted good with the rub on the ribs.

Service was fine but there wasn't a lot of people while we were there. Ordering at the counter feels right to me. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Quite honestly I've put up with way worse service for bbq that wasn't as good.

For my money they're way better then anywhere else in town I've tried. Better then most I've had out of town too. I'll go back.

nichole

Postby nichole » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:This thread provides better information for the owners than a comment card, "friends and family" opening or any other standard restaurant opening method for getting feedback. We should consider offering it as a paid service for local restaurants.

Sheer brilliance. Would forons get a kickback, or just a hearty handshake, for providing TDP with free content?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Sheer brilliance. Would forons get a kickback, or just a hearty handshake, for providing TDP with free content?

Exactly. This has been the most interesting thing on this board for weeks now. I've already come forward and said I will accept payment in ribs for any number of goods or services. Isthmus would be wise to do the same.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Ate there last night and wow, it was great. Great rib rub. The mustard sauce was delicious. I was barking brisket for hours (ate way too much). And oh the beans, the beans!
The dining area is absolutely feng shui-less. The lighting is depressing.
The family/owners seemed really nice.
I'll be back.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 pm

I have been away for a while and was quite surprised to see seven pages and 4419 views.

3. Profit!

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Just saw on Facebook that they're going to do order at the counter. Apparently it's how they used to do it. Smart move. I'd like to think it was because of this forum. Whatever the case, I'll be back soon. Earlier.

Jumpn Jackrabby Jake

Postby Jumpn Jackrabby Jake » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Me and betty done go here after a weekstop from runnin' watermelons from Tyler. We been to snows by way of Austin, but we ain't seen no Yankee spinin them BBQ yarns herenow in Wisconsin. Comparin' yerself to Snows is fixin to be like a jackalope mountin a Brahma. It's nip-n-tuck till you get hit by the truck.

What i'm sayin' is, Ain't it jumpin' the gun to compare ya'lls self to Snows herenow? I seeon you done that on Face Book.

I'll be fixin to rustle up some grub, if that aint the cottonpickinist thing you aint never heard this side of Tyler, Texas.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Ugh.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Ugh.

ditto

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Either ya got it or ya don't.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

I've already come forward and said I will accept payment in ribs for any number of goods or services.

I'm totally in favor of replacing our dollar fiat currency with a rib-based barter system. Would be much more successful than Community Hours.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:44 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I'm totally in favor of replacing our dollar fiat currency with a rib-based barter system. Would be much more successful than Community Hours.

Thus leading 50 Cent to make another movie, this one titled Get Ribs Or Die Tryin' ?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 am

Samara Kalk Derby's review from 77 Square.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 pm

OK, I finally got around to going. At 5 on a Friday afternoon, they were completely out of pulled pork, and were about to run out of ribs. I liked the ribs, but I was kind of surprised that they didn't have their own BBQ sauce. The only beers they had on tap were Leinie's Honey Weiss and Spotted Cow. I got the Leinie's, which was lukewarm and flat.

They've been around for long enough that these mistakes shouldn't happen. I'm not likely to go back.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”