Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Athena
Forum Addict

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby Athena » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am

Aw darn. I had just gotten takeout for the second time two weeks ago. I hadn't even tried the pulled pork yet. And I really loved the ribs I had last time. I'd just gotten takeout, but my husband had eaten there and said the atmosphere was lacking. I think they would have been better off with a smaller place at least at first.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm

basically, and seriously, they didn't do ANYTHING right, except for the food.

the atmosphere was grim, the space was ridiculous. the service was crazy and haphazard. they had child labor issues from day one, and just regular labor issues in general.

but that food.... oh my god... that food made you forget everything else. ugh. so freaking sad. if anyone knows anywhere else in these parts that even comes close, i'd love to hear it. THIS place knocked my socks off when i ate there (twice in one day) but it's not exactly close...

http://babybackblues.com/locations.shtml

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:56 pm

depinmad wrote:yeah, apparently this is porky pine pete's last night on earth. i went in a little while ago, inhaled a tres banditos (maybe the best one i've ever had there), and left. i didn't ask any questions, i didn't want to hear any explanations. i didn't want to talk about it. i still don't. some things are just too hard.

I just read the latest on this thread and am now completely heartbroken. There is no other BBQ place as good as Pete's. Dammit. Sounds like Pete is a slightly tortured food artiste, and a bit of a travelin' gypsy. Sorry it didn't work out here.

This summer I ordered some brisket at Shipwrecked up in Dorko. It was flavorless and dry with the chewability of beef jerky. Paid an additional $2 for slaw to try helping it, which didn't. I couldn't wait to get back to Pete's when I got home.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:05 pm

What did you expect from Chicago's northern-most suburb in the summertime?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I suppose I should have tried it, but a long time ago I sort of gave up on finding good barbecue outside of the South, after being disappointed too many times. I have been known to go to Smoky Jon's.

okiebp

Postby okiebp » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I suppose I should have tried it, but a long time ago I sort of gave up on finding good barbecue outside of the South, after being disappointed too many times. I have been known to go to Smoky Jon's.

same here.
nothing like BBQ back home.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:03 am

There is actually a decent rib joint in Minneapolis called Market BBQ. I ate there years and years ago. It's downtown near the CC, I think. It's the only place I've had dry ribs in the north. Again, it was years ago so I don't know what has changed if anything or if they are still around.

I need to stop reading this thread. It's really making me hungry.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 am

c02 wrote:There is actually a decent rib joint in Minneapolis called Market BBQ. I ate there years and years ago. It's downtown near the CC, I think. It's the only place I've had dry ribs in the north. Again, it was years ago so I don't know what has changed if anything or if they are still around.

It's still around. It's OK. It's on "Eat Street" (Nicollet Ave) just south of Downtown.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am

The Market has been there forever, but its quality has been up and down.

I prefer the ribs at Rudolph's, but they're saucy. Not a barbecue place, but definitely a top-5 joint for meat eaters is J.D. Hoyt's.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
c02 wrote:There is actually a decent rib joint in Minneapolis called Market BBQ. I ate there years and years ago. It's downtown near the CC, I think. It's the only place I've had dry ribs in the north. Again, it was years ago so I don't know what has changed if anything or if they are still around.

It's still around. It's OK. It's on "Eat Street" (Nicollet Ave) just south of Downtown.

I had a burger there once in the middle of the afternoon and it was atrocious. On the same level of bad as a burger from Gino's on State St. I guess I've learned my lesson, which is don't order something that isn't the specialty from specialty restaurants!

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 am

Some of the finest BBQ in the US can be had in Chicago. Smoque on Pulaski & Irving. More than one texan transplant has told me that their brisket almost rivals The Salt Lick in Austin, which is apparenlty the gold standard for texan brisket. While I've never been to TSL (or Austin, for that matter) I can say that Smoque's brisket is pretty damn incredible. Certainly better than any I've had in the Midwest up until that point.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Have you tried the ribs at Bonfyre? They were fantastic.

okiebp

Postby okiebp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Haven't tried Bonfyre's ribs yet.

if it's anything like the BBQ up here in the north, it will be grilled meat (instead of smoked) smothered in BBQ sauce (instead of dry rubbed)

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:43 pm

porky pine pete's were smoked and dry rubbed.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Now that Pete is gone, the bbq experts are crawling out of the smoked embers to remind us how bad the bbq is here in WI and tell us to go places far away to get decent bbq. Yes, ok, fuck you, thanks. Let me mourn.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”